Simple Aluminum fabrication

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Simple Aluminum fabrication

Post by VT_Jeff »

Builders, et al:

I need a couple of 1/4" aluminum plates cut, drawing attached below. If someone can do this or knows someone who could, I'd be much obliged. Big thanks to Daniel S. Mullen for the quick sketch, saved me about 8 hours of pointing, clicking and swearing.
AlumPLate.PNG
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Simple Aluminum fabrication

Post by Cowbro »

I can't really help you out, and I don't know how tight your tolerance requirements are, but if it was me, I would:

1. Order 7"x7" piece of AL from onlinemetals.com.
2. Cut 1.25" diameter hole in the middle with a holesaw
3. Cut the plate in half.
4. Round corners with a file.

Phil

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Diameter of the hole needs to be 2.5"..
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Cowbro wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:17 am I can't really help you out, and I don't know how tight your tolerance requirements are, but if it was me, I would:

Phil
That may well be what I end up doing. I don't have a good way to cut 7" of 1/4" aluminum, though I have several bad ways(Hacksaw/grinder). Real issue is that I'm out of time. We're leaving Friday for a long road trip and the thought of making them on a campground picnic table isn't super attractive. But if the cost is exorbitant, I may end up that route anyway.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cape man wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:27 am Diameter of the hole needs to be 2.5"..
Nice catch!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:29 am
Cowbro wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:17 am I can't really help you out, and I don't know how tight your tolerance requirements are, but if it was me, I would:

Phil
That may well be what I end up doing. I don't have a good way to cut 7" of 1/4" aluminum, though I have several bad ways(Hacksaw/grinder). Real issue is that I'm out of time. We're leaving Friday for a long road trip and the thought of making them on a campground picnic table isn't super attractive. But if the cost is exorbitant, I may end up that route anyway.
Find a small, local machine shop with a plasma, CNC cutter or an apprentice. Should be something they can cut simply (likely using the method Cowbro suggested) and quickly. Big question is if they will have work lined up.

That said, I may have a guy here who can bid on it, but not sure how I would get it to you before friday.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:23 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:29 am

Phil
Find a small, local machine shop with a plasma, CNC cutter or an apprentice. Should be something they can cut simply (likely using the method Cowbro suggested) and quickly. Big question is if they will have work lined up.

That said, I may have a guy here who can bid on it, but not sure how I would get it to you before friday.
Just spoke to a local shop who may be able to do it, we'll see. I don't need them by Friday, can just get them shipped to my campground de jour or (de week).......I can install them at a picnic table.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Bid has been submitted and accepted, will be ready Wed Aft. Local shop in North Adams Ma. Stoked!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:48 am Bid has been submitted and accepted, will be ready Wed Aft. Local shop in North Adams Ma. Stoked!
Excellent!!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

The result:
20220303_192449.jpg
I'm now thinking I probably should have made the plates longer. Hindsight's a beeotch. :doh: