Finishing gunwales and transom FS14

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Finishing gunwales and transom FS14

Post by wdr99 »

Hi everyone,

Since the northland is getting coated with a quarter inch of ice and then 4-6 inches of snow, I figured it’s good day to decide what I’m going to do with my gunwale and transom sheer edges.

See the attached pictures, my sheer is a 1x and the 1/4 inch ply. I’m leaving the outer edge square because it’ll be covered with gunwale guard. But what do with the inner edge. I’m planning to round over with a 1/2 or a 1/4 bit. Is that what most of you have done? I also have considered adding a 1x on the inside and rounding that over. Whatever I’m doing will be painted over, no brightwork for me. Hopefully you can see a couple layers of epoxy already.

For the transom, I’m puzzled. I’d like to leave the outer edge square to make for a nice paint edge. The hull is gray, the inside of the boat will be white. Is a square edge a bad idea? I can’t really think of any other way of executing the paint edge unless any of you have an idea. I’m planning on rounding over the inside edge. Also, should I glass this top edge of the transom, given the extra stresses of the outboard, or is sealing with epoxy good enough.

Thanks!
Bill
Attachments
2F85907C-F9E2-48FD-886B-5981A5D531D6.jpeg
F2662BF1-71FD-49CF-B97E-8F346D3D5D5A.jpeg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Finishing gunwales and transom FS14

Post by Fuzz »

Clamp a straight edge across the transom a couple of inches down. Run your glass down to the straight edge but no matter what you need to round over the transom edges and glass over the top. If you do not glass over that end rain plywood you are just begging for rot to set in.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yep, like Fuzz said definitely cover the top of the transom with glass to prevent rot and damage to it. Round it over to take the glass.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wdr99 »

Where would you guys transfer from hull color to cockpit color, gray to white? Maybe right in the middle of the transom’s top edge? For whatever reason these artistic decisions are way more work than the actual work!

Bill

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

wdr99 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:10 pm Where would you guys transfer from hull color to cockpit color, gray to white? Maybe right in the middle of the transom’s top edge? For whatever reason these artistic decisions are way more work than the actual work!

Bill
White boat or white cockpit?

white is harder on the eyes, so gray cockpit is better

i sorta wish all my inside walls were gray for glare, but white walls and gray decks here

Transom top same as boat main color here..but I don't really have to look at it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wdr99 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:21 pm
wdr99 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:10 pm Where would you guys transfer from hull color to cockpit color, gray to white? Maybe right in the middle of the transom’s top edge? For whatever reason these artistic decisions are way more work than the actual work!

Bill
White boat or white cockpit?

white is harder on the eyes, so gray cockpit is better

i sorta wish all my inside walls were gray for glare, but white walls and gray decks here

Transom top same as boat main color here..but I don't really have to look at it.
I went with EZPoxy Seattle Gray for the hull. It’s really light, never would have thought of it, but we bumped into it. For contrast, I’m going with a white cockpit. Luckily the sun never shines in northern MN!

This is one of these decisions that I dread along the way. I’ll agonize over it, decide rashly, and the actual work will take about 15 minutes.

Bill
B1E1B98A-549A-4474-962D-BAA9A446409B.jpeg
Last edited by wdr99 on Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Bill
Don't forget that once the glass is on you can build those edges back to square using epoxy and structural fillers.
Hank

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Everyone I've read has regretted not glassing the transom tops. The thermal expansion rates between the wood end and edge grains and the glues and the glass vary too much.

Glass the edges and top and for fun return it to sharp for a really great look.

I hate white cockpits. And I have one on my antique Carver. Everything shows. A fleck of sand, a sneaker mark, potato chip crumbs. White is awful on the eyes.

Go gray. I'd go a tad darker than the hull. Transistion on top the gunwhale. It'll look really nice.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wdr99 »

Well, I went for it today. Rounded over the transom and the inner edge of the gunwale. Then glassed. Also installed the bow eye and the electrical conduit. Also, funny enough, I decided to go with a gray cockpit. First boat I’ve built that won’t have a white cockpit. Kind of a departure!

Thanks everyone.

Bill