Ph18/ ph 20/ ph22 or ob19

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Ideal-Ed
New Poster
New Poster

Ph18/ ph 20/ ph22 or ob19

Post by Ideal-Ed »

Hello, my name is Ed Ivie. I am new to the boat building world. Also fairly novice boater, I’ve only owned one boat before and it has been probably around 10 years since then.

I’ve been reading through many builders thread for some time now and I am ready to begin a boat building project.

I live in Austin Texas and will be using the boat fishing the area lakes as well as family fun with my adult children and grandkids, as well as occasional trips down to Rockport and Port Aransas chasing Reds in the shallows and possibly fishing the jetties as well as possible near shore fishing for kings and snapper.

A little about me, I was a carpenter for around twenty years then ran an auto body shop for around 15 years, currently have a heating and air conditioning business. So I feel like I’ll have the necessary skills to do the project.

I started out looking at the ph18, but not sure how well it will do in the heavy chop in the open bays. Then I was looking really close at the ob19 but not sure how it will do getting back in some of the creeks and channels. I see the draft on the ph18 is 6 inches vs 8 inches on the ob19. But I’m not sure how much difference that really makes in the real world fishing,

Also a fishing guide friend of mine who fishes flat bottom aluminum boats said it really helped a lot with the chop when he went from an 18 to 20 foot boat. SO IS THERE SUCH A THING AS A PH20? I thought I read a thread somewhere of a ph/18 converted to a ph20, so I was wondering if there is modified plans from Jacques for a ph20.

So I guess I’m seeking advise on which direction I should go. Ph18, (ph20?), ph22, Ob19 or the fs19. I have already purchased the Ob19 plans, then This weekend I was watching the bass masters tournament on TV and started second guessing my decision to go with the Ob19.

Thank you for any advice or recommendations as I am a novice at the boating world.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Ph18/ ph 20/ ph22 or ob19

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'd build a Phantom.

I am wanting to pay JM to draw a PH24 wider than the PH22 by 10%, sort of. Just want the PH22 plus 10% beam and length.

I think the Phantom is the best all around boat and I am moving to Corpus Christi and want to build one as a bay boat.

As for you, if you never built a boat before, the PH18 wouldn't drive you batty as is; the plus 10% might bog you down. And you could also buy the PH18 as a cnc kit.

The bays in Texas can get pretty rough; the OB19 and the PH are not different enough in my opinion if seas are rough. Those se winds start up and neither boat is going out, so plan for a low draft boat that'll travel shallow and use it sparingly for offshore stuff when seas are flat.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Draft greatly depends on how you build it. If you build it to plan it will have the draft planned. Add features and crew and it will not.

I'd look into one of the FS17/FS19 as an alternative, but still not really shallow draft. If shallow draft is really important then there is no substitute.

Have a look/talk at some of the boats and people that go there, and see what they use. You should be able to build a better one. I can't give any more specific advice as I am not familiar with the PH series or the area.

Good luck.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I'm down the road from you in Blanco and glad to hear of a new close by builder. If Rockport/Port A are only occasional then I'd focus on local lake stuff. That means a good bow mounted trolling motor with spot lock to fish with and shallow draft not important. A really truly shallow flats boat for the coast is gonna pound in a chop but that's just a price to pay. I like the FS 19 idea, but let's hear from other folks.

Dougster

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Welcome To the Forum. You really have 3 boats to choose from, the PH18 which has limited space for a family and when fully loaded will have a draft similar to the other two, is not a boat for rough water. It is not really a family boat, but a fishing boat. The FS19 which is the lightest of the boats can handle rough weather whether the lakes or offshore, a smaller 70HP motor is good for it. Plenty of room for kids and grandkids also, unlike the PH18. The OB19 will also work if you keep your weight down going up the creeks, 2-3 guys and light gear. It again is good family boat with a lot more space than the PH.

The FS will be the easiest to build. Since you are a rookie, I would suggest buying the CDC kit with one of the epoxy kits.

Well good luck on your decision. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Ideal-Ed
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Ideal-Ed »

So you think would be better off with the fs19 rather than ob19? What are your thoughts on the ph22?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I like the PH22, but not as drawn. I don't like the way the aft bench is drawn.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Ideal-Ed wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:20 pm So you think would be better off with the fs19 rather than ob19? What are your thoughts on the ph22?
I was looking at weights and PPI and how might the draft be getting into the creeks. The FS17 had the advantage otherwise they are equal. I assumed you would have no more than 2 or 3 people on board. The PH22 again brings the draft to 8" and gives you no advantage in space over the FS or OP and does not have the freeboard inside for the kids and grandkids for safety.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:17 pm
Ideal-Ed wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:20 pm So you think would be better off with the fs19 rather than ob19? What are your thoughts on the ph22?
I was looking at weights and PPI and how might the draft be getting into the creeks. The FS17 had the advantage otherwise they are equal. I assumed you would have no more than 2 or 3 people on board. The PH22 again brings the draft to 8" and gives you no advantage in space over the FS or OP and does not have the freeboard inside for the kids and grandkids for safety.

Tom
Gonna disagree with Tom only on one bit. The PH22 has more space, but they layout drawn is kinda goofy.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

As a builder of one of the first FS 19s and having had now a few years of experience fishing and running the boat I feel compelled to give my thoughts on it.

The FS 19 is a very fuel efficient and sea worthy hull. When built with spray rails you will find that it rides extremely dry. It gets and stays on plane with very little bow rise at comparably low speeds, 12 MPH.

Without a doubt the dry comfortable ride of the FS 19 and seaworthiness is what people most often remember after a day on the water with me or my brother.

It has a definite Bay Boat vibe compared to my Egret 189. On the FS 19 you feel like you are in the boat. Definitely more comforting for people than my Egret flats skiff, and also the PH series of boats, in which you feel more like you are on top of the boat.

The FS 19 is not a speed demon due to the design of the hull. Top speed with a Yamaha 115 HP 4 stroke is 42 MPH.

I think a 90 HP motor would be about perfect for the boat, the 115 is more than needed and a 70 HP might not be enough with a full crew.

None of the boats that you are considering will be super shallow water boats because it is not the hull draft so much as the depth of the motor that determines running draft. If you need to get super skinny then install a hydraulic jackplate. If you install a jackplate you will need to move weight forward in the boat.

The FS 19 feels larger than 19’ 6” because there is no inner liner to take up space and the bow does not extend to a sharp point. Compared to my friends boats the FS 19 will have the same interior volume, space and storage as production boats in the 21- 22 foot range but be lighter and more efficient.

The boat also looks really good. You will get stopped every time you take the boat out by someone complimenting you on the boat and asking what brand it is or where they can get one.

There is a build thread detailing the construction of the boat that I built for my brother. If the build thread doesn’t answer your questions about the FS 19 or you just want to talk, please feel free to reach out to me and I’ll help you in whatever way I can.