Box top

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Box top

Post by rick berrey »

The Saylon without a mast might be an option . Put a windshield , add a soft top , beam and weight is within reason for what you want and great for inland waters

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

JSHaley wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:17 am
The helm must be forward in a shanty boat.
Ok, that has not been my experience. Out of respect for JM I am not mentioning other designs by name but there are several where the vessel is tiller steered looking over the shanty. The one I am looking at does have a weird wheel set up. At front of box on inside AND outside. So you can steer from within or have the wheel behind you as you sit on bow deck. But for other points I would value a wider bow deck. The XFS20 has a flatter bow than PH18 for instance.

But I think I am beating a dead horse here...

"The designer has considered all of these." And the designer has gone to great lengths to support some level of customization but a box on top of a planing hull sounds like it is over the line. I was confused by 20 people standing on a XF20. The two other designs I am looking at are 18' and 16'(!). I am telling myself that the difference between that and the GT23 plus towing rule that out...

I very much appreciate the feedback.
I don't think a cop would stop a GT23 going down the road without an oversized load sign. It would be almost impossible for him to make a judgment call on 6" from behind it.

Boats are a compromise in most cases. They never fit all your needs but we try! :lol:

I thought someone else was building a shanty too. I'd be tempted to either look at the HB18 or GF18. It sounds like you are going to build a minimal structure that is more squatting height than a full cabin. As long as you limit the horsepower and use the 3" rule on framing, you could have a pretty low-powered, low center of gravity boat that fits your needs. I lean more towards the GF18 since you are worried about trailering and weight.

JSHaley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JSHaley »

Tom, the pontoon has long attracted me. Seems larger build and I think it raises the center of gravity. Would also be great air draft for towing.

Rick, same for Saylon. The "pop bottom" is neat though.

BB - that GF18 is interesting. Simple enough build. Low profile and low weight. Still abusing a planning hull with displacement speeds and low power but compared to a simple barge-like hull it has merit. The designer does not mention adding a superstructure, but if it was low weight - even canvas...