New to the game...

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
altruistic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New to the game...

Post by altruistic »

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

The problem is I can't just sell everything and leave. I have dependents who are trying to make a life and may need my help for the next few years. I am not at all optimistic about the state of the world and also see this as part of prepping / planning.
Like I said, the main reason for the boat is to be able to move my house. I'm well used to renovating houses (and a few motorhomes) so would see getting something like the Voyager sorted outside (weld solar deck / top....I'd definitely employ someone / a team to sort this), get the motor / propulsion sorted, get the instruments needed and sort out all the interiors as needed. I'm under no illusions that fitting out the insides, even working on it full-time, could easily eat up a year....but then the bulk of it would be done.
Maybe I'm being naive thinking I could get the internals done on-board while in the water, but I'd have all the power I'd need for tools. It could be that I decide to stay in a marina to finish the internals, but I'd only know this once I'm in the project. As I see it, this is my final renovation. A house that will take me into old age and when maintenance needs doing on the boat, if it's beyond me physically, I can moor up in a place in the world where I can afford someone else to do the lifting and humping.

I'm really using this site as a sounding board and as a place of research for any info from anybody that's undertaken such a venture. There must be some more people like Jorma Ponkala out there that have found their own solution to modern life, the nomadic dream, solar and boats.

Cheers,
Al

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I would agree with Narfi and Fuzz, at this time in your life your time is growing short to do what you want to do. If you can buy the Voyager and reoutfit it for solar I think that is the the answer you are looking for. First thing if you don't have sailing skills take sailing lessons and learn to become a blue water sailor.

Good luck on your venture and I hope you succeed on it I will be watching how you do.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

fallguy1000 wrote:The EU has some very strict rules. I won't attempt to cite them. Most marinas won't let you slip without insirance and most insurance won't insire without survey and most surveys won't land without adherence to local rules.
Check with Collin, the UK TW28 builder.
In Belgium and the Netherlands (where Allard built his Stoere Meid'), there are no problems in getting a homebuild boat insured and using it. No survey needed.
Good luck,

Peter
LUS

Sutork1
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Sutork1 »

Hi altruistic,
A good dream you have and hope you achieve it.
I had looked at getting a ~45' sailboat a while ago and was vetoed by the significant other :( . I have been thinking about it ever since and had (somewhat) came closer to understanding her reasons.
So, I would like to share a few thoughts /considerations that I hope may help you in making your journey enjoyable and successful.
1- You said you had one experience in the sea and that was almost 30 years ago. People change over time. Are you sure you would still like it? Suggest go on another journey, or better still, go get your day skipper license.
2- Once you get your license, rent a boat for a week or two, at a reasonably windy season. I think what you will notice (this is the bit I was becoming more wise to) is that being the captain of a boat and in charge of its safety will be a completely different experience. Unless your boat is securely tied in a river marina and your are home in your warm bed, you will likely loose some sleep as to what is happening. If you are at anchor, you may not be able to get a wink of sleep. Although you will never be sure if your anchor is secure, no matter how well you anchored, there may be other cowboys that would not have done a proper job and drag anchor.
3- Using Solar electricity for propulsion is a bit of a utopia to be honest. There are some questions raised regarding how environmentally friendly the Lithium batteries are. Once manufactured, they are clean but only because all the dirty stuff happens upfront. Also, shouldn't forget that they are really poisonous to the environment and really need to be recycled but the actual percentage recycled is somewhat dubious at present. Nissan Leaf might be a good idea, if you can make the thing work but knowing the evolving manufacturing technologies, nothing is made to be taken apart. You may find that you will need to transfer all the electronics, the whole engine/battery/car management system. And you may find that the boat may not start because the doors are not locked!!! For the battery power, you should not count for anything more than 70% of capacity for regular daily use unless you want to replace the batteries every few years. The problem you will have most likely is at the time you need the batteries the most, they will be empty because it's been raining for the last week.
4- The boats you mentioned 17 tons and 23 tons would need that 100HP+ engine. You may get away cruising upto 5-6 knots in calm water (needs around 40Hp shaft power for the 23 tonner, the actual engine power may need to be more if using gears etc) but say the winds change. Say you traveled with back winds and you reached a "protected" harbour. Protected means the wind is blowing away from the entrance, that is against the vessel trying to get in. What then? You may have to power into the wind. We were sailing in the Aegean against 20+knot head wind in a 50ft sailboat with 100hp engine and had to turn back because we weren't making much headway at full throttle. Looking at the picture, that 23 tonner seems to have ample freeboard to catch the wind. You shouldn't, can't plan for a good day.
If you really want to be environmental, as the others suggested, the best and simplest is the sail. Also somewhere in the thread, you said you wanted it to be safe. If one wants safety, than KISS is what one should remember, Keep It Simple Stupid.
So, my advice would be, sail for cruising and a good size engine to get in and out of harbours and also out of risky situations.
I think what I wrote is a bit bleak but don't let it discourage you.
Good luck!