Deck scantlings/loading.

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Deck scantlings/loading.

Post by jbo_c »

Yes. Will most likely be laminated beams and will probably glass them to the roof as well, mostly because it should significantly impact the error margin in the positive direction and its(relatively speaking) cheap and easy.

Jbo

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You don’t need a lot of curve to the top if you are in moderate areas. Meaning unless you expect seas or torrential rain, minimize the arch buy using a longer radius to draw it. That will make the area much more comfortable to use for lounging or sleeping.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jbo you do not need much arch per foot an 1/8" per foot is plenty. That much you will hardly feel but will allow rain to drain off. I am assuming this is the roof of your shanty boat or is it an add on. How wide are the beams that the joists will be sitting on? I think you mentioned 6' but that is not very wide.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Yes, this is for my shanty. The width of roof support will be 6’(total boat beam 7’4”).

The arch is more for aesthetics than anything else.

Jbo

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jbo what is the length of the roof 6' x 12' or 16', longer or shorter. This will also make the difference on spacing and size of the beams.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Maximum length will be 7’. Roof will be at two different heights.

I think I will space at 12”. Should be significantly closer than necessary but makes measuring simple and only uses two more “joists” than 18” spacing. Weight/cost/effort penalty is negligible.

Jbo

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jbo look at the roof on Murat's DE25 behind where he is sitting, he used a boxed system of 1x2 or 3's and got a nice curve. Tom
viewtopic.php?t=64782&p=499159#p499159

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

That’s pretty much what I had in mind.

I really don’t expect we’ll spend any time up there, but I don’t lose anything by being prepared for it if we don’t.

Jbo