Any GP21 under way or finished ? GP21 vs PH22

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Any GP21 under way or finished ? GP21 vs PH22

Post by Matkuz »

hi, im finishig my last project so in my mind comes an idea of new boat, and its a bass boat. Ive found GP21 BB, and it is propaby most reasonable chose but i do not like the garvey hull shape, but may be someone can show some pictures of finished GP21, maybe im wrong and it will chang my mind. The second option is PH22 but in bass boat layout, what do you thing ? Shape of all PHs is so great. After looking at some posts i assume that GP after fiew modifications will be able to carry bigger engine than PH22, and reach higher speeds, im i right ? This boat would be used only on lakes and rivers so ther wont be big waves, but in my region some times they get very short, sharp and get 2-3 feet, thats why im afraid of PH18 and its flat bottom. Thanks for all comments :)

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Any GP21 under way or finished ? GP21 vs PH22

Post by BarraMan »

Consider a Mangusta 20 hull with bass boat decks/cockpit!

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matkuz »

I was considering Mg20, but i think that side panels are to high for bass boat. What is the dimension from waterline to biggest point in middle of boat ? Mg20 would be more like "zander" or all specie.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Matkuz wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:49 pm I was considering Mg20, but i think that side panels are to high for bass boat. What is the dimension from waterline to biggest point in middle of boat ? Mg20 would be more like "zander" or all specie.
The side panels are only as high as you make them! 8O
In my boat, I made them even higher than the 10% upscale indicated as we operate in crocodile country :help: and I wanted a bit more clearance above the water for when we camp on the boat.
The MG20 is a great handling hull!

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matkuz »

That's true, but i cant lower them to much. Beside that, 7ft of beam is it not to narow ? Is it comfortable for to anglers to stand on platforms and cast? What about stabilny, as a bass boat it should be versy stable. Was thinking about mg20, but it was lost somewhere between other conceptions. It would be nice it there was an option to buy plans to build small model, i would buy Mg20, gp21, ph22, build small models and than choos which one i want to build :D

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Matkuz wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:29 am That's true, but i cant lower them to much. Beside that, 7ft of beam is it not to narow ? Is it comfortable for to anglers to stand on platforms and cast? What about stabilny, as a bass boat it should be versy stable. Was thinking about mg20, but it was lost somewhere between other conceptions. It would be nice it there was an option to buy plans to build small model, i would buy Mg20, gp21, ph22, build small models and than choos which one i want to build :D
Even though it has 18 degrees of deadrise at the transom my boat is a rock steady fishing platform, as can be seen in this video when some old bloke walks down the gunwale. 8O I weighed 220 lbs when this video was made.
Also note three of us standing on one side of the boat! :D

https://youtu.be/MSXdxHPWCmE

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It depends a lot on the builder; usually a first time builder is better off building to the plans, but as Barraman points out (and demonstrated with his excellent build) the boat can be customized in many aspects and end up quite different looking but more suited to your needs. When you look at a rendering of a hull in the study plans, or a completed build, it's hard to picture it any other way, but as long as the basics are kept you have a lot of leeway. Hull sides can be raised or lowered, cockpits can be enlarged or decked over, seats, console, storage, sheer line can be changed, all to suit your preference.
When you make those kinds of changed you will be departing from the designers choices, some of those are aesthetic and some are for economy of material, and some are practical choices based on experience. Be prepared to buy extra material. The basic kernel you don't want to change is the hull shape, leave the plans alone for the part below the water line. That is what you want to focus on when you choose a plan, and select according to the planned use of your boat, and the waters it will run in.
Hank

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Any of the 3 boats can be built as a bass boat. My favorite would be the PH22. Many have been built with a 150-175HP motor on them. For the inside plan of the controls and seating as shown on the GP21 or even buy its plans so you can follow what you need to do to make the changes. Plans are cheap when compared to the overall cost of the boat. No matter which boat you choose you will have a good one.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matkuz »

Ph22 is my favorite one, i like very much its lines, very smooth, and they match good to nowadays bass boat lines. MG20 is a resonable choise becaus of its deadrise and stability. i was thinking abot lowering its side panels, so they would be about 18inch but then beam would be less than 7ft wich is not so much. i was thinking, if i would like to have 7ft with lowering side panles i should enlarge whole boat by 5%, or mayby there is another option ? What about some kind of flares to widen beam after lowering side panels. If only mg20 would have bigger beam and a little bit lower profile, it would be perfect.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I don't understand. If you lower the sides the beam is reduced, but the submerged hull is the same, the sole is the same . . . what's the big deal? If you reduce the height of the side panels but maintain the beam, you'd be increasing the size of the boat, wouldn't you?
Hank