Any GP21 under way or finished ? GP21 vs PH22

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Any GP21 under way or finished ? GP21 vs PH22

Post by Matkuz »

pee wee wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:00 am I don't understand. If you lower the sides the beam is reduced, but the submerged hull is the same, the sole is the same . . . what's the big deal? If you reduce the height of the side panels but maintain the beam, you'd be increasing the size of the boat, wouldn't you?
Yes, you are right, sorry if it doesn't write clearly.Im looking for an option to lower height of side panels with maintaining beam but without increasing lengh. I would be nice to have 20ft boat with beam a little bit more than 7ft.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I guess my question relates to what is it about the overall width of the boat that you are concerned about? Yes, the boat can fit through a narrower opening when you lower the sides, but the significant parts have not changed. It will be just as stable, just as roomy, plane as easily as the original design.
Hank

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matkuz »

So overall, I think it is a good plan, or just buy two plans nad flip the coin which should be build :lol:
I was looking at gambler hull, it is very sharp in lower part and then is widening. Mg hull would be nice base.
Attachments
20220403_223919.jpg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

That hull looks like it would pound nasty in any rough seas over 2-3'.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

OK, so upscale the plans by 10% and then build it with 18" sides! :D
I am away for a couple of days, but when I get home I will mark 18" sides on my boat and measure the beam at the transom at that height.

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

PRe: Any GP21 under way or finished ? GP21 vs PH22

Post by Matkuz »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:19 pm That hull looks like it would pound nasty in any rough seas over 2-3'.

Tom
Yes, that's a great bass boat, very stable, able to run in truly rough water, extremely fast and sill flat as bass boat should be. Underwater part of hull is like offshore boat, deadrise at transom about 20, and at cut water just like you see, and than hull above water line is getting wide. Just like i would used MGs hull, cut it on waterline and widen it from this line :D
BarraMan wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:49 am OK, so upscale the plans by 10% and then build it with 18" sides! :D
I am away for a couple of days, but when I get home I will mark 18" sides on my boat and measure the beam at the transom at that height.
Thank you very much it will halp me a lot ! :D
What do you think, how would MG perform with a pad ?

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I have no experience with pads but if was my boat I would put the motor on a hydraulic jake plate with an 8” setback.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I still think the PH22 is the boat for you. Longer and wider than the MG20 even stretched 10%. I ran it through my calculators and a 150HP will put your top speed is in the high 40's mph's. Check with Barraman on what his top speed is with his 250HP on his stretched MG22 is, then check the cost between the two motors

Well good luck on your decision. Make sure you buy your plans in metric.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I still think the PH22 is the boat for you. Longer and wider than the MG20 even stretched 10%.
I don't think there is much in it. Will be interesting to see when I run a tape over it with 18" sides.
I ran it through my calculators and a 150HP will put your top speed is in the high 40's mph's. Check with Barraman on what his top speed is with his 250HP on his stretched MG22 is, then check the cost between the two motors
How relevant is this? My boat is propped for power not speed but will still top out at 50 kts - lets call it 60 mph! It spends most of its time at about 28 kts (30 mph). Maybe comparing the cost of a 150 hp OB with a 200 hp OB would be more appropriate. The Yammie 250 vmax SHO is a beast!

I have had a bit to do with fast boats over the years and used to race ski boats. My enthusiasm for the MG hull is simply based on the fact that it is clearly the best handling fast hull that I have driven! I have yet to find any vices.

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matkuz »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:28 pm I still think the PH22 is the boat for you. Longer and wider than the MG20 even stretched 10%. I ran it through my calculators and a 150HP will put your top speed is in the high 40's mph's. Check with Barraman on what his top speed is with his 250HP on his stretched MG22 is, then check the cost between the two motors

Well good luck on your decision. Make sure you buy your plans in metric.

Tom
Im sill thinking about ph22, it's a very nice boat. To be honest i need to scaled it 10% but to another direction. I need a boat max 20ft. So, if PH22 with 150hp would hit high 40s mph, then smaller version with same engine shoud run a little bit faster, i assume.
The more i think about Mg, the more i become convinced that it could be a good choice, because of the handling, and still have some power to use (I like speed :lol: ) and if i downsize ph to 20 ft then beam would be less then 6 inch wider then mg. Deference of 6 inchs on boat its a lot, but in this case its a cost to have i think more tough boat.