soo!!

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

soo!!

Post by nightcrawler »

so!! I've been thinking about when i get back north and resume work on the 25 pg . I have built a couple s+g boats before and one thing that was always a pita was losing the deck space from the vertical frame members. They always end up being a toe stubber when fishing the gunnell. I was thinking maybe i could use a horizontal structural brace going from the casting deck to the motorwell bulkhead maybe half way up(+or-). I would then box it in to the gunnell. I would think this would stiffen the sides up enough so there would not be any flex and give an additional 6 inches of toe space. could also have access to the box beam for storage
What think you all
Roland
Nightcrawler

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: soo!!

Post by fallguy1000 »

Sorry, no.

Stiffening could be done with fiberglass, but not sure if the weight tradeoff is worth it. Or you could box it all in..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Even with the sides stiffened longitudinally as you say, there would still be a hinge point at the connection of side to sole. Fall off a wave wrong and crack! This has happened before, and on your design.

viewtopic.php?p=418585

You lose no foot space except at the frame, by having the frames. You could deal with toe stubbing by wearing shoes, or by gluing some EVA foam to the frames.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:51 pmwearing shoes
Now those are fighting words!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Shoes.

Pshhh

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

jbo_c wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:03 pm Shoes.

Pshhh
I've got arch-envy!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nightcrawler »

Thanks for the input. Gonna try it anyway!!.. I know how to fix it

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

On my FS17 I used the vertical frames as furniture points, so no toe stubbing, even stronger than plans as the furniture made the frames into full bulkheads instead of just a couple inches. Extra wide gunnals could help as well if you kept it entirely open.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

No reason you can't stop the frames 2 - 2 1/2" above the deck to stop the toe stubbing. Jacques has allowed it, and many have done it. Another advantage is that water and dirt do not get caught in the corners of the frames and flows back to the scuppers and out the boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:21 pm No reason you can't stop the frames 2 - 2 1/2" above the deck to stop the toe stubbing. Jacques has allowed it, and many have done it. Another advantage is that water and dirt do not get caught in the corners of the frames and flows back to the scuppers and out the boat.

Tom
? That's news to me, but if it's okay then that makes it easy.
Hank