FL14 with 6.5hp surface drive?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Texcl2
New Poster
New Poster

FL14 with 6.5hp surface drive?

Post by Texcl2 »

When I was in college I hunted with a 10’ skiff I built with lumber from the hardware store I worked at. It was a great boat! As a matter of fact it was operational until a cow stood on it this last year after 25 years of service. Anyways I now live in North Dakota in the prairie pothole region and need a boat to run in the marshes while duck hunting. It sole purpose is to haul two guys a dog decoys and equipment to our blind always within a mile or so usually much closer. I’m thinking about building the FL14 but with a large cargo area up front with no seat or maybe a removable seat. The engine will be a backwater 6.5hp ultralight long tail motor, it’s about 60lbs. Do you think the FL14 is a good choice, what is the transom rated for weight wise?

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FL14 with 6.5hp surface drive?

Post by Browndog »

A couple of other plans to also consider would be the DS 15 & the GV 14. Both are designed to be usable as duck skiffs and would probably have more carrying capacity for being a similar size as the FL 14.

The FL 14 will not get on plane, displacement speeds only, it is pretty much a row boat that can take a small motor.

The other two boats will still travel at displacement speeds but gives you some options if you decide to ever hunt or fish on bigger waters or need to travel longer distances more quickly. Both can take bigger motors if necessary but should still handle fine with your intended mud motor.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FL14 with 6.5hp surface drive?

Post by TomW1 »

I would recommend the DS15 https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/Stud ... _STUDY.pdf as it is designed for what you want to do. Your motor is a little small but will work if you only want planing speeds, a 25HP is max so a 15 would be good. It sounds like your motor is a mud rat. Well good luck on your decision.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978