Ez-Fillet hard enough on puzzle joints? (LM 18)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
GrantL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ez-Fillet hard enough on puzzle joints? (LM 18)

Post by GrantL »

Hey guys,

When doing the last set of puzzle joints, I think I used a slightly smaller amount of hardener than I was supposed to and after about 1 week of curing, I am not sure if it is hard enough to continue with…

It is def hard but if I press hard enough into it, I can leave a finger nail impression. It is not soft by any means but is not super hard like the other panels when cured. For areas that it was set against the plastic and then pulled back, it will bend and not break…No issues with it binding to the wood.

What are y’all’s recs? Should I ordered a new side panel (3 pieces) cut? Or should the fillet harden more over time and maybe use a fiberglass splice to firm up the joint? Any help appreciated, thanks!
Attachments
932D96E9-9053-4F7C-A5E5-A09D47FAA550.jpeg
32A15363-3BD8-4AF7-A43E-36A88DEEE106.jpeg
87C310B5-DBE2-4A9C-8684-B408B4A9F008.jpeg
E36566A7-E877-442E-B456-BAAB86099289.jpeg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Ez-Fillet hard enough on puzzle joints? (LM 18)

Post by fallguy1000 »

Warm it with a hair dryer and see if you can scrape it off.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

I agree with Fallguy. Step 1, use the heat of a hair dryer and scrape off surface glue. Step 2, heat and gradually push he puzzle joint apart.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

GrantL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GrantL »

Thanks both

Are you saying to heat up the fillet and try to separate the puzzle joint completely?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

GrantL wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:31 am Thanks both

Are you saying to heat up the fillet and try to separate the puzzle joint completely?
Yes. You can try using a chisel with care in not to gouge much. It is a painful process with bits of gummy crap building on the chisel. So, you use a chisel and a trowel to clean the chisel off, etc.

Lotsa variables, but removing errors is important.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Yes. Once the only glue remaining is in the puzzle joint itself, place an approx. 4" packer under one side of the joint, then apply heat to both the top and underside of the joint while pushing down on the unsupported side.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It seems like fiberglass tape over both sides would be strong enough, but we boat builders tend to rely on tradition and the hull is not a place to take chances on. Heat will soften the epoxy enough to get it loose, ideally you'd stick it in an oven to get it all hot at once, but you should be able to work across the panels with a heat gun.
Hank

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Since it's been a week this is probably a long shot, but it may be worth it to set in in full sun on for a few days if you haven't. Maybe it will harden up a bit more.

Dougster

GrantL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GrantL »

Thanks everyone for the advice. Seems the consensus is to heat it up with a heat gun and scrape off.

This stuff is about 80-85% as hard as the other joints that cured properly. Everyone think a heat gun will soften up the fillet enough? Any others concerns? If not, I’ll start this tomorrow and hopefully have it re-glued shortly. Will update on the progress

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Why is there so much excess on the joint? Use a 3-4" steel trowel to keep those cleaner..