Swim platform for GV15

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Swim platform for GV15

Post by BrianC »

I'm looking for a swim platform / step for my GV15 build. I've added to the shear so the transom height is about 24" making it a bit too much without some sort of intermediate step. I'm finding lots of them like this Garelick that use 304 stainless support tubes that are simply flatten at the ends, bent, and drilled to make the mounting points:

From the reviews, this design seems to fail at the upper bent end so I'd much rather find a platform with better mounting points like the one on Cracker Larry’s No Excuse build:

I've also considered a simple step like the Perko with a good, sturdy grab bar mounted within reach on the rear deck.

What have other people done? Am I worrying too much about the bent ends or do they work just fine? Does anyone have a recommendation for a platform with well-designed mount points?
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Swim platform for GV15

Post by TomW1 »

Here is one close to the one on No Excuse, I would go check it, but it is to dang cold out. https://www.amazon.com/MARINE-CITY-Powe ... 414&sr=8-7

Make sure you put some 5200 under the plates which they sell with it to help hold it on. Amazon has a good selection but keep to the better brands.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

BrianC I went out and checked out my ladder and swim platform on No Excuse. There is no brand listed on it. It may have been made by his good friend Raymond who made SS parts for boats. The pads were welded to the tubing. I do not know if you will find that in a commercial one.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:40 pm BrianC I went out and checked out my ladder and swim platform on No Excuse...The pads were welded to the tubing....
That is what I noticed — all the new ones seem to have the bent ends rather than welded pads. I was able to find a used one on ebay that has the welded pads:

SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looks nice, make sure you use a good oil finish on it like GB is on his Pram, https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/p ... detail/168 or a Teak oil finish.

Tom

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

I built this Ipe platform for my C17 and attached a Garelick 4 step under mount ladder and a custom stainless grab bar.
My 240 lb youngest son said no way would it hold him.....it does with no problem....there is a bracket underneath that isnt visable in the pic.
20150621_173845.jpg

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I received the swim platform from the eBay seller — I think it is going to work. Here it is test fit of the platform minus the swing down step:

I'll be lowering it about 1-1.5" from the picture which will give me a 12" step down from the deck. I might drop it another inch or two since the platform would sit about 4" above the sole. In this position, there is ~14" from the edge of the platform to the hull's centerline. My neighbor's boat only has 12" clearance but his has an under platform support on the motor side.