DE 27.5

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: DE 27.5

Post by TomW1 »

Also do not buy cheap small pumps, they are more prone to failure. You want 1500 or 2000cfm pumps that will last. When you wire them you want one switched and one non-switched. This will keep you safe as the non-switched is always on and protects you all the time, the switched can be turned on at sea in waves coming on board and heavy rain. As far as routing the dischare hose the best is out the sied well above the water line.

My opinion on having a drain plug on a boat as large as your boat is no. Let the pumps take care of the water. Make sure you have the proper batteries and charging systems. There are battery chargers you install on board that you run an extension cord to that can recharge them and can keep a trickle charge on them. Here is one from Bass Pro https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/promari ... ry-charger You just need a water proof plug.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz does make a good point about freezing. I have 5 guttered hatches and a few other snow related concerns.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

My boat has: 1) a drain plug, 2) 2 x large capacity bilge pumps, both with float switches - one with a manual switch also, 3) a smaller capacity bilge pump right at the bottom of the bilge, on a manual switch, 4) a manual bilge pump, and 4) a bucket on a lanyard! 8O

The cockpit has large floor drains into the bilge and there have been a couple of occasions when I have had all of the electric pumps running - with waves breaking over the bow of the boat! :help:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dennis don't know how other large boats do in CT, but my Father-in-Law always had his 29 footer hauled on Lake Erie and winterized. That way he did not have to worry about what Fuzz and fallguy are talking about. He had it covered so no rain or snow could get to it. It looked like a field of white plastic.

Well something to think about.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

Thruster Tunnel installed and skeg on. Making progress.

May start faring tomorrow
Attachments
IMG_5952.jpg

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

Started faring -
Attachments
IMG_5999.jpg
IMG_5995.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Fairing that big of hull just has to be a lot of fun :help:

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Follow up on the drain plug topic… My boat has no deck hatches, and practically no way for water to get in the bilge (after I rebuilt the scuppers). I do get a little bit of leakage from vertical hatches on the back bulkhead. I also live in the tropics, there is zero chance of freezing.

I did consider putting hatches into the area between the stringers, since the boat doesn’t have a ton of storage. But I didn’t really have time before taking a trip, and did not want to have a potential leak area.

I think the tapered thread style plugs are basically zero risk, except for forgetting to put them in.

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the input. I am going to put in a threaded drain plug. I live in a northern climate where it does freeze and want to make sure all the water has a chance to drain out when the boat is pulled in the fall.

Attached are some progress photos from last weekend. I have the second coat of faring on, will sand it this weekend and start touch-up where needed.
Attachments
IMG_6010.jpg
IMG_6008.jpg

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

That looks like great work. I can't even imagine fairing that large of a hull. I wanted to cry just fairing my 15 foot skiff i'm building. Good luck and keep on!
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)