Mixing Marinepoxy resin and S3 hardener

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Mixing Marinepoxy resin and S3 hardener

Post by wpstarling »

Hello all,

I'm assuming the answer to this is NO but figured I'd ask just to be sure. I have some extra marinepoxy resin and S3 hardener. Both mix at same ratios so I was wondering, could I use the 2 together while I wait to get my next order or should I leave the extras alone and just find other stuff to do on the boat until I can get my next order in?

Bill
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Mixing Marinepoxy resin and S3 hardener

Post by joe2700 »

wpstarling wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:08 am Hello all,

I'm assuming the answer to this is NO but figured I'd ask just to be sure. I have some extra marinepoxy resin and S3 hardener. Both mix at same ratios so I was wondering, could I use the 2 together while I wait to get my next order or should I leave the extras alone and just find other stuff to do on the boat until I can get my next order in?

Bill
Don't mix epoxy brands, not interchangeable like polyester resin with MEKP hardener.

If you don't have a use for it anyway you could do a test batch just for fun, see if it hardens at all. Even if it does see to harden I would not use it, you have no idea what mechanical properties it will have. As one is a blushing epoxy and the other is not I bet the chemistries are different enough it won't harden at all but who knows.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Like Joe says do not do it. If using different brands of epoxy you need to wait until the first one is fully cured before going over it with a different brand. If that is true then mixing brands just has to be wrong.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

This question has been answered a few years back by I think Jeff or Reid and your correct the answer is NO. The chemistries of the two are different.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

This question has been answered a few years back by I think Jeff or Reid and your correct the answer is NO. The chemistries of the two are different.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

LOL. I would try a small batch on some scraps and see what happens. You never know until you try. I wouldn't use it for anything structural.