GV 10 design question - Evan Gatehouse

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
David Sours
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GV 10 design question - Evan Gatehouse

Post by David Sours »

Evan, I am approaching the completion of your 10 foot Garvey and I am really pleased with how it is turning out. But I want it to be more than a bare bones dingy. We're kind of building it to be like a hard bottom inflatable to run around the waters in front of our house in Poulsbo, Washington, flat and protected 80% of the time and always 5 minutes from shelter. I want to add a small side steering console. I was thinking that I would place this in front of the middle seat since, in the description, a tiller extension and the helmsman sitting at that middle seat, when alone, is recommended. What do you recommend? What are your thoughts? (Yes, I should have built the 13 but I started this 7 years ago and life and plans change :roll: )
PS - I have a 9.8 Suzuki set up for remote controls and steering. This can be converted to a 15 hp or even 20 hp.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GV 10 design question - Evan Gatehouse

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Hi,

Depends on your weight. If you're a light guy you can put it in between the 2 seats and it will work OK. But you'll need to put the gas tank forward of the front seat to help it trim bow down enough. If you are larger, then in front of the 2 seats and move the gas tank aft to near the aft seat.

Or just fill it full of kids.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

David Sours
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GV 10 design question - Evan Gatehouse

Post by David Sours »

Perfect. My plans exactly. I am a bigger guy. I should have mentioned also, the motor has electric trim and tilt so I think I'll be fine when I fill it with grandkids. Thank you for your quick response.--DS