attaching hatch hinges

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

attaching hatch hinges

Post by BrianC »

I've started laying out and building hatchs on the forward deck of my GV15 and I'm puzzling over how to best attach the hinges. A search of the forum turned up a few discussions on the topic.

"Mounting hatch hinges ??" from 2009 suggests tapping into holes filled with silica+chopped glass+epoxy:
viewtopic.php?p=185080

More recently, joe2700 used G10 backing plates (also tapped):
viewtopic.php?p=483424#p483424

and Narfi used 3M 5200 on his FS17 build:
viewtopic.php?p=473105#p473105

I think I want to avoid the 3M 5200 in case I ever need to repair a hatch lid. What do most folks do when mounting hinges to 3/8" ply hatch lids?
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: attaching hatch hinges

Post by fallguy1000 »

Not ply, but use 3m 4200 which I hate because the tubes don't last well, but I keep using it.

Offer a pic and people can help more.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

It really depends on the type of hinge and how you are building the hatches. The easiest is to attach a backing block and pre-drill and fill with epoxy and fillers, like cabosil. Make the pre-drill 3x than the screw. Then when it hardens drill a small guide one for the screw.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Use non-spiked tee nuts with fine thread machine screws. There is literally nothing you can do with wood screws, fillers, glue etc. that will even come lose to the reliability of this setup in mounting a hinge to a 3/8” panel…
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:51 pm Use non-spiked tee nuts with fine thread machine screws. There is literally nothing you can do with wood screws, fillers, glue etc. that will even come lose to the reliability of this setup in mounting a hinge to a 3/8” panel…
One of my regrets that only bothers me, no one else can see.... I wish I had done as AA recommends here instead of the wood screws.
I've not had issues yet, but I know someday I will :)

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I know Richard said no grippers, so I went looking at my favorite brand of 316ss nuts. Sadly, they have the teeth...grinder?

https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/t ... 02-016.htm
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I used wood screws. My hinges are articulated and allow for some wiggle of the hatch, which, at least in my mind, reduces the stress on screws. All of my hatch screws were overdrilled/filled with woodflour/epoxy and are into two layers of 3/8" ply.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

On my whitewater dory I used stainless bolts and brass barrel nuts with piano hinges. The hatches are 3/8th ply so not enough material for a screw. Every four inches I put a fastener. Every hole was drilled and filled. I am going to try out friction hinges on my next dory.
Attachments
5C3B19BE-754E-4AD2-96C1-C8C074E14DFE.jpeg

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Different heights are available to accommodate plywood thicknesses.
Attachments
29C37EDC-4086-4078-87A6-BE0B0141E190.jpeg
A0B48950-1A4B-4B5C-8A4B-CE043FBCBE24.jpeg

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I'm laying out three hatches on the bow casting deck; the deck & hatch lids are 3/8" so it looks like tee nuts are the way to go. Here are the hinges I'm using (size is about 2.6”x1.2”):

The center one is the chain locker so it doesn’t need a gutter since it gets washed down anyway after each trip (it drains to outside the hull); for that one I’m using Willg’s method (modified from BarraMan):

viewtopic.php?t=46527&start=240

The other two will have gutters routed into cedar 2"x3" glued to the underside. The gutters will drain sideways to the chain locker.
PapaDave wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:21 pm Different heights are available to accommodate plywood thicknesses.
Where did you find those brass tee nuts? All the 316 stainless tee nuts that I've found have the spikes like the ones that fallguy1000 linked. As for the non-spike tee nuts, I've only been able to find 304 stainless ones.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame