XF 20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

XF 20

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

Getting back to work on my XF20 project after a little time off. At this point the hull is covered in glass inside and out. Stringers and knees are in place. It is sitting on the floor now. Trying to decide how I want to support it up off floor. The strong back is just not wide enough to support boat. Am I best to put on a trailer,retrofit the strong back,or what. Also at this point I have not installed a rub rail. Thinking I want to do a mahogany rub rail with stainless. I was told not to try to bend rail as not to distort the hull. Thoughts?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: XF 20

Post by Fuzz »

Fully glassed with the stringers in the hull should be plenty stiff enough to put on a trailer. My only question is will putting on a trailer make it harder to work on?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you have the bottom paint on and can set up an easy way to get in and out and it is well supported, go for it. Many have been finished on there trailers. Are you building the deck version with 4 stingers?

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

It has two stringers. I bought the complete kit and that is how it comes. I’m trying to figure out how to do the rub rail. I’m thinking it only goes on the outside

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Are you planning to put the deck in, if so you will need to add two more stringers to properly support it. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

Jacques says two is fine

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jacques requires 4 with the deck. Ask him. There is a $1700 difference between the no sole and the sole kits. I am not trying to be difficult here but to help you have a solid deck to stand on. The spacing with just two stringers to the outside of the hull is just too wide. If you're not putting the deck on, then you are fine. :D Check with Jacques or Jeff or maybe one of the XF builders will chime in.

Tom

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Hi buddy, I have built a real, actual, non-fantasy XF20. Not one of the recent ones, more of the old school ones from 15 years ago. It’s still rock solid.
You don’t need 4 stringers but it’s a nice feature.
Not sure what glass schedule you used on the hull, I used two layers of 1708 on the outside and one layer of 1708 on the inside of the hull.
Lighter glass might result in hull oil canning with higher horsepower. In that case, 2 extra stringers will help.
I opted for 4 stringers, I honestly think my boat could handle a 150hp motor with my rebuilt 1-1/2” thick transom and 4 stringers…
Boat pic…
1F023DFD-FEB3-44F2-8CE0-2B547EB0895A.jpeg
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

She looks great AA!!!! Jeff

Rippoutai
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Rippoutai »

Yesyoucan4 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:47 pm Jacques says two is fine
Hey Yesyoucan4, I also live in Homosassa and will be starting an xf20 build real soon. Is it possible we can link up so I can see your build and how the process goes?