LM 18 Build in Austin

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
lapesca67
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: LM 18 Build in Austin

Post by lapesca67 »

Thanks guys.....good feedback....I think I am going to go with a 1/2" to 3/4' skeg and give it a go. I fished an FS 18 with a jet drive and had a couple of endo's almost throwing us out of the boat on some tight corners.. a skeg should help eliminate that tendency.

lapesca67
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lapesca67 »

wwsmith wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:34 am I built this same boat and put a jet on it. Didn't put a skeg and never regretted it. The boat won't turn well at low speeds (like when going into a dock or trailer) but a skeg wouldn't help much in those situations anyway. The poor turning has more to do with the limitations of the jet. My only disappointment with the jet was the amount of water needed for a good hole shot. It's a little more than you might think (closer to that of a prop with a tunnel). When on plane, it would run in 4"-6" of water without any issue.
By the way....did you remove the cover from the jet intake? also, what hp did you go with? I am looking at the 30 vs. the 40.

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Yes, removing the grate on the intake is a must. 35 HP two stoke. Would run 27-28 MPH loaded or unloaded. Weight hardly made a difference in the top end.

On a couple occasions I had it spin out of control (always driver error), but never felt like I was in danger of falling out. Went over lots of shallow water where anything hanging below the boat would have just hung up.
Built another boat after that one, and made it as flat as possible, too. I would encourage you to try a product like gator glide over the epoxy-graphite mix when you get ready for the bottom. Easy to apply and very low friction.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

ww made a good point in that a jet loses about 25-30% of its HP through the jet. For example, the Yamaha 40 HP is rated 30 shaft HP equivalent to compare it to a prop motor. That is a 25% reduction in power. from the jet. Yamaha jet https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/eng ... t/25-40hp/ Mercury also has a 40 jet but doesn't show shaft HP. https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/eng ... t/25-40hp/ I would expect it to also to be around 30 shaft HP. Science doesn't change much.

Good luck, I would go with the Yamaha. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

lapesca67
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lapesca67 »

Have I said that I REALLY don't like fairing.....coming along but a lot of work to do after the first pass....
Attachments
Fairing.jpg
Fairing.jpg (87.45 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

lapesca67
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lapesca67 »

OK...lots of other priorities got in the way, but after a whole bunch of fairing, priming, painting (messed up the first go round, so had to strip it), here are some shots on status. Here is some color:
- Quick fair is the way to go...once I started using it, the process moved much faster
- I used awlgrip for the primer and the finish coat. Sealed with 545, did two coats of high build primer, then three coats of the topside. HPLV is awesome, but you have to really work on the spray diffusion and clean the gun after each application. Also, go easy on the paint volume in the first two passes
Attachments
JPEG image 4.jpeg
JPEG image 3.jpeg
JPEG image 2.jpeg

lapesca67
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lapesca67 »

A few more
Attachments
JPEG image 7.jpeg
JPEG image 6.jpeg
JPEG image 5.jpeg

lapesca67
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lapesca67 »

More
Attachments
JPEG image 9.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Beautiful boat! Really nice job!
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.