XF 20 Console decision

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

XF 20 Console decision

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

Trying to decide how to configure my console and seat. As I see it I have two basic options. I did buy the console with my kit.
1st option:
Build standard with console mounted to sole. If I go this route I would place bench seat on aft deck. This way I could use a Bimini top

2nd option:
Place console and seat up on top of aft deck. This is how Micro Draft does theirs.
What do you guys think of the pros and cons.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: XF 20 Console decision

Post by fallguy1000 »

sorry, not following, maybe an xf20 builder will understsnd, I'd need a sketch
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Option 1 is the more feasible one, but I have serious doubts about placing a bench seat on the rear deck. It is called a casting deck for a reason and putting a bench seat on it would limit your ability to fish from it. How about putting the bench seat in front of the console or the seat for your console? You can build it yourself and make the height you want, an ice box or anything else you want.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

The bench seat is for the driver. That would make it so I can place console a little farther back than what shows on plan. I would still have a seat on front side of console. One boat builder says that there are benefits of being higher that’s why I am considering putting seat and console up on aft deck. He says better viewing over marsh grass,better view into the water,and less glare off the water. With this set up I don’t think I could use a Bimini top. I do not want a hard top as there are some low bridges in my area.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Richard any suggestions? I would extend the rear deck forward to balance the LCG so his XF20 is not stern heavy. Yesyoucan4 by moving the console and you and any people back to the current rear deck you are moving a lot of weight back several feet. Instead, you should increase the length of rear deck forward and then mount the console and seat. Hope that makes sense.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

If I do place seat and console on aft deck I am moving deck forward to accommodate