CX25

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Rosk

CX25

Post by Rosk »

I am looking for a trailerable boat for cruising and fishing in the caribbean for my wife and me. I am new to boating. We would like the option to overnight for 1-2 nights but that's not a deal breaker. Two will be the normal crew but I would like to be able to take out my kids and grandkids occasionally (no overnights). I like the CS 25 & CX25 and think it closely fits my expectations but have some questions.
Can the fuel tanks be increased to provide a range of 300+ miles? What speeds is this boat built for?
I was hoping to outfit it with a Yanmar diesel and have cruising speeds of mid 20's to max in the 30's. Is an I/O an option?
Twin outboards is also appealing due to the redundancy but I want to keep the fuel consumption reasonable.
What is the draft of this boat?
Can you supply the dimensions for the front deck and rear deck space? Am I able to outfit with seating?

Any help would be appreciated!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: CX25

Post by fallguy1000 »

Boat is a bit small for the gulf crossing tbh.

And any weather and you'll be miserable.

A capsize or flip is fatal.

Obviously, people make canyon runs in these, but going to the Bahamas usually means water and gear and redundant systems; excess of stowed goods and suddenly the available displacement becomes an issue.

I'd let a few others reply, but I'd not make the trip with you.

Other boats are probably better suited, but the trailerability aspect generally limits seaworthiness, too.

Aim for a 28 footer minimum.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Please look in the Power boats section and see the very long thread from Peter from Curacao.
It will answer many of your questions.
Since Peter lives in the Caribbean, he used his boat there, no problem.

If you are based in the US and want to cross to the Bahamas and go further down, I would not anticipate any problems as long as you pick decent weather.
I crossed at least 50 times from Florida to the Bahamas and often in boats smaller than the CS25, just don't cross in a North-Easter front.
Yes, we can have larger tanks but read Peter's thread for fuel consumption and performance. You can go all the way from Miami to Barbados and never be more than 100 NM from fuel.

For the dimensions, download the plan pictures from the study plans. They are to scale. If necessary, I will give you some other dimensions.

Personal remarks: the CS25 is not designed to sleep aboard, the CX25 will be fine if you accept very simple accommodations for two. I would look at island hopping, with half day trips between marinas and Airbnb rentals with the added safety of being able to sleep onboard on anchor if needed.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Here is the link to Peter's CS25 build viewtopic.php?t=16798 The CS25 will make the passage from FL to the Bahamas as long as you pick your window carefully. Make sure you have some experience on your boat before making your first trip. As for seats, no problem, you can build seats along the sides or along the transom.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978