Abaco 23

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Abaco 23

Post by TomW1 »

I can tell that many of you have not read the Study Plans. Most of your questions are answered there. First the AB is built for comfort, not speed, a single 300HP will get her to 45mph. TomTom it was designed based on the boats from the Abaco's Islands 180 miles from Florida and part of the Bahamas, not the Albury Boats . He also explains more about the design and why it is a good rough water boat. I would highly recommend the skeg, strakes and extra spray rail for better tracking and spray knock down.

Well, I have sort of waited to see if Jacques would chime in, but the Study Plans are the most thorough he has ever written. So, use them.

Tom https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/Stud ... _STUDY.pdf
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

TomW1 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:11 pm TomTom it was designed based on the boats from the Abaco's Islands 180 miles from Florida and part of the Bahamas, not the Albury Boats . He also explains more about the design and why it is a good rough water boat.
Forgive me if I am wrong but I thought the original Albury boats were built in Man-of-war Cay, in the Abacos, Bahamas.

Seeing as the Albury’s were very influential there I made the assumption that they were perhaps some of the inspiration?!

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

TomTom,

You are not wrong. Albury Bros did indeed start on Abaco Island and continue there today.

TomW1,

Not only did I read the very thoroughly written study plans but I also researched the history of Albury Bros boats to refresh my memory before replying to TomTom’s post and added in a dose of my experience from fishing for the past 40 years in the Southeast US and the Bahamas.

Please, let’s try to not step on each other in the forum. We all have valuable knowledge, life experiences and styles of communication.

Perhaps you did not intend to insult those of us that have posted on this thread but that is how it came across to me.

One of the great strengths of this forum is that is a very congenial and welcoming place full of supportive people willing to help others to achieve success in their boat building projects.

Let’s keep it that way.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Well said Browndog.

Here's a link for you TomW1. https://www.alburybrothers.com/company/the-story.html

Almost certainly the inspiration for the Abaco 23.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

My apologies to all I did not do my research well enough! :oops: I had not known the Albury boats were from the Abaco Islands as the ones I dealt with came from Florida. Thanks for the post cape man and Browndog sorry if I stepped on any toes not intended just ignorance on my part. :oops:

Thanks for the link cape man, I see a couple of differences in Jacques design over the Albury right off. The first is Jacques stepped chine vs. the Albury rounded chine at the stern.

Thank you for helping me understand the Albury boats.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Duplicate, sorrry.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

TomW1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:31 pm My apologies to all I did not do my research well enough! :oops: I had not known the Albury boats were from the Abaco Islands as the ones I dealt with came from Florida. Thanks for the post cape man and Browndog sorry if I stepped on any toes not intended just ignorance on my part. :oops:

Thanks for the link cape man, I see a couple of differences in Jacques design over the Albury right off. The first is Jacques stepped chine vs. the Albury rounded chine at the stern.

Thank you for helping me understand the Albury boats.

Tom
Well TomW - your post did make me go through the design notes again just to make sure I wasn’t losing my marbles and one thing I did find was the link to a build thread of one in South Africa… wonder what ever happened to it!

Looks like a sharp entry up front.

I think some of the newer Albury boats may not have a rounded bilge.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

TomTom I went back and checked the current Albury 23 and it appears to have a step at the chine, but they retain the rounded bilge from below that. At least that is what it appears to me from several photos.

Here is a copy of there description if you don't have it. https://www.alburybrothers.com/models/23.html

Tom

PS If I was 40 and lived on the coast I would build the AB23 it is my favorite boat of all Jacques designs.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

There are a handful of other, smaller related Abaco skiffs around the islands too. They are neat, utilitarian boats. The round bilge doesn't translate well to S&G.