Abaco 23

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Abaco 23

Post by TomTom »

I was reading an article on the Albury brothers 23 - I am curious if the Abaco 23 is a variation on this theme? And how the ride might compare.

It seems to be implied that the Albury 23 needs some weight - particularly low down - to create the ride it is so famous for.

It also has a rounded bilge - which the Abaco 23 obviously does not; and neither do the larger Albury boats - so I am curious how important this is to ride quality.

Have many Abacos been built? I am surprised more haven’t if they are indeed a variation of the Albury 23 - which seems to have an almost legendary status.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Abaco 23

Post by fallguy1000 »

I believe it is a bit small as an offshore. I have stared at it many times, but everytime have the same feeling that if I am going offshore, a bit bigger boat would be best.

And so, people seem to always move up to the 25s, whether the Panga or thr Carolina, which would offer a drier ride, in theory, at least.

Another thing that happens for offshore users is many here in the US want to make it to canyons for tuna. And this also means the boats need range. Range is often percentages, meaning I have a tank of x gallons and want to use a percentage of it for my run. Well, 80% of two tanks, one being larger, results in greater reserve.

So, I think the boat has suffered the fate of next size up, drier ride, more reserve many or every time.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I guess my first question still stands - can it be compared to an Albury Brothers 23?

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

It’s a good question. Wondered that myself, because of the description of being a design inspired by Bahamian boats.

There aren’t many well known boat builders building this type of boat other than Albury Bros in the Bahamas.

To Fallguys point, in the US, a 23 foot boat is a tweener. In some areas, like where I live, it is on the big side for inshore fishing and on the small side for offshore fishing. The Gulf Stream is 60-70 miles offshore where I live, so range and sea worthiness are a big factor here

But in South Florida or the Bahamian Islands it might be perfect. The Gulf Stream is just two miles offshore in parts of Southeast Florida. Range isn’t much of a factor there compared to here.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Well I guess if the ride is as good as an Albury and someone wanted a bigger one than the allowable 10% scaling would get you just over 25 foot.

Seems to have quite a high power requirement for Jacques designs - I wonder if she is deliberately heavy? Or it’s just a product of the hull shape/ deeper V?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I know nothing about them but I well remember Cracker Larry saying if he were to build another boat for himself it would be an AB23. If Larry thought it was a great hull that would be good enough for me.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:40 pm I know nothing about them but I well remember Cracker Larry saying if he were to build another boat for himself it would be an AB23. If Larry thought it was a great hull that would be good enough for me.
I'm with Fuzz - that is a good looking hull! It would have made a great hull base for what I did with the Mangusta 20 - without the need to upscale by 10%. If I was doing it again I could well go with the AB23!

Is range really an issue? With 450L and a 250-300 hp motor I am thinking 9 hrs @ 30 kts = 270 nm - works well with a third going out (150L), a third getting back (150L) and a third reserve (150L).

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Its all conjecture, but I would guess it is a different ride than the Albury. The forefoot looks quite a bit deeper and steeper on the Albury.

Their US factory is near me in Riviera Beach. They are somewhat of a status symbol around here, as they are quite expensive for what you get compared to larger factory production boats. I also find them quite attractive, more of a traditional look than many of the modern boats. There are a few smaller, and runabout Albury here that are great-looking boats too.

I'll guess that not many Abaco have been built since its a huge project and there are so many commercially-available similar boats that can be bought. Not going to build one of those in a 2-car garage.

Coincidentally my grandmother helped build a schooner with the Albury family on Man-O-War in her teenage years.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Matt Gent wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:20 pm Its all conjecture, but I would guess it is a different ride than the Albury. The forefoot looks quite a bit deeper and steeper on the Albury.
Would be interesting to here from Jacques what the exact inspiration for the design is was.

I was reading someone complementing that the Albury’s “stay on plane” at 18 mph; seems quite high experience but as you say they have a deep forefoot and are still fairly heavy. Everyone goes on about the ride quality though!

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I spent some time working in the Key,s and live on the gulf coast . The Abaco 23 would be my first pick for the Key,s , it has speed and comfort , size is just right for off shore / near shore day fishing in my opinion . If you want to go after tuna it,s probably cheaper and less work to charter . One of my uncles decided he needed a bigger boat , so he went with a 26' regulator , I"m 63 and he,s 66 , and his grandson running it 27 to 32 mph wont beat you up as bad , or get you as wet as a 16' cape horn . That being said it,s not taking us anywhere the cape horn didn't take us 30 years ago , and we still don't fish the next day because our backs hurt . A larger boat is much nicer in old age than a smaller boat , but there are down sides when you look at the work involved and cost factor . A Panga 22 would still be my pick for the Gulf Coast , but for J,s offshore plan,s I think the Abaco 23 has everything beat until you get to the 28' Gulf Stream , and then your in a different class of fishing .