3M4000UV failure.

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

3M4000UV failure.

Post by OneWayTraffic »

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/p ... uv-failure

Apparently there's been a few cases. Anyone on here? I just bought a tube for hatches.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 3M4000UV failure.

Post by bklake »

I must have used this on a drain plug at some time in the past. When I went to change it, the sealant was goo that wiped away.

I can't say for sure what I used but the caulk looked just like what they describe. I know it was not 5200. I avoid 5200 unless a project specifically needs it. Some say 5200 is easy to remove. I consider it one baby step below welding metal.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

In that link 3M respond:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding 3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 4000 UV, Black. We are sorry that the product did not meet your expectations. At 3M, we aim to continuously improve our products. Your feedback indicates that you have product that is prior to our reformulation in late 2018. We appreciate your interest in the product and are happy to send you a sample of the reformulated product

And in the comments the technical editor of the blog adds:

Control samples that were stored in the dark have remained like new. To our understanding, reversion is triggered by UV exposure and we have not heard of failures below the waterline.

So do I trust it on hatches, inspection ports and the transom bolts and fittings? My head says yes, my gut says: what's another $20 for peace of mind.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Where I used it, it was exposed to the sun 24/7.

I usually trust anything and everything 3M makes. They have made some duds that didn't work as intended but they own up to it. If they say they reformulated it, they reformulated it. My skeptical side want to see proof but that will be 5 years. Coming up on 5 years since the reformulation.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Newer reviews on the 3M site are not good. Some say it turns to dust after 2 years in the sun. Looks like they went too far the other way. Any good review suggest it was used out of the sun. Not a good endorsement for a product that is supposed to resist UV.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I'm thinking I'll use it for non critical hatches if at all. And for transom bolts, transducer and other applications I'll use sika 291 or 4200.