AggieBrother23 SK-14 Boat Build in TX

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AggieBrother23 SK-14 Boat Build in TX

Post by pee wee »

Great progress! Looks like you picked up some experience.
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great progress!!! Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Looks terrific and you already know how fun the boat is to use. Looking forward to seeing next progress.

Dougster

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Great work on the boat, first of all, great progress!

"The only downside to the Dado cut is that you have to fill all the holes in-between the wood and boat with peanut butter"

I'm not convinced you need to. If you slathered some neat epoxy into each hole to seal it, I would think that would do it. What was your reasoning for needing to fill them?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

AggieBrother23
New Poster
New Poster

Post by AggieBrother23 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:17 pm Great work on the boat, first of all, great progress!

"The only downside to the Dado cut is that you have to fill all the holes in-between the wood and boat with peanut butter"

I'm not convinced you need to. If you slathered some neat epoxy into each hole to seal it, I would think that would do it. What was your reasoning for needing to fill them?
I'm filling them because I don't want the wood to get in there and cause anything to rot.

AggieBrother23
New Poster
New Poster

Post by AggieBrother23 »

Im thinking about putting only one skeg on the bottom of the boat as opposed to two skegs. Anyone have any experience or advise in this area and the difference between one or two skegs?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

AggieBrother23 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:59 pm Im thinking about putting only one skeg on the bottom of the boat as opposed to two skegs. Anyone have any experience or advise in this area and the difference between one or two skegs?
One skeg is the way to go, There is absolutely no advantage of having two and may be detrimental, there are better ways to help in bottom shaping.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978