Sk14 questions before purchasing plans

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Yodere
New Poster
New Poster

Sk14 questions before purchasing plans

Post by Yodere »

Hey guys I’m new to the forum. I’ve been eying the SK14 for a while now. I just have a few questions before I buy the plans.

Does anyone have experience with the SK14 in breaking water? I’m looking at it more as an upgrade to the kayak I currently use. My intended use is primarily for surf launching it in the Pacific Northwest, I know this isn’t a big boat but my main question is does the scupper hole in the transom drain the cockpit quickly if you have a wave break over the bow? Has anyone tried surf launching an SK14?

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Sk14 questions before purchasing plans

Post by Browndog »

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your decision to embark on a boat building project.

Fortunately the SK 14 boat model has been well documented on the forum with multiple build threads for you to review.

The SK 14 has been designed to quickly shed water from the cockpit and according to those that have built one seems to do just that.

This is not a large boat and should be considered at maximum a two person craft. It is also not a speedboat. It is a limited range, limited capacity craft, in my opinion, but definitely more functional than a fishing kayak.

Like a kayak, I would also expect that you will probably get wet in this boat. But if built properly with the recommended foam flotation your boat will not sink if capsized which should be a consideration when launching from the surf.

If I was launching from the surf I would make sure any storage hatches on the boat were sufficiently drained, guttered and gasketed with hatch lids that had locking latches and use waterproof storage bags or containers as well. Anything not locked into a hatch would be either bolted,strapped or tied down.

Thoughts of the Pacific Northwest surf cause my mind to imagine rocks and rough cold water. Not a particularly hospitable place for a small boat designed for shallow draft operation used to fish warm water flats.

When I think about boats intended to launch off of beaches through the surf it brings to mind designs like a dory or a Panga. Perhaps you might want to consider those designs as well.

There are lots of folks on the forum with varied experience in building and operating boats of all types and they will be happy to help you along the way. Hopefully some of the guys up your way will chime in.

Best wishes for success on your boat building project.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I built one and use it in a local lake. Mine has a 5 horse outboard on the back and a spot lock trolling motor on the nose. I took a boat's wake over the nose one day and the water drained immediately, so no trouble there. It doesn't paddle easily though, maybe because of my two motor's weight. I do carry a kayak paddle (not really long enough) for the launch ramp maneuvering. I love the little thing but am not fit enough to think about surf launching it. If so I'd of course ditch the outboard and trolling motor.

Dougster

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

DO IT!

I have an SK14 here on cape cod.... ive taken it places it shouldn't go, through the surf no issues. ive gone out some sketchy inlets taking waves over the bow etc etc etc... the scupper drains just fine, just keep moving forward and all the water is out of the boat in a couple seconds.

1. no weight up front. no trolling motor, battery, etc etc,. you need to get the nose up

2. go lightweight with the motor on the back. i had a yahama 9.9 on i wouldnt go heavier then that. A 6 hp or a propane 5 hp would be enough.

3. fill under the entire deck with foam. the added weight and correct weight distrubition will help alot. the foam dampens the pounding you'll take.

just be smart and time it right. if you good in the surf with a kayak you'll be good with the sk14.

Yodere
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Yodere »

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all the input.

I’m very aware that the SK14 isn’t a large boat, I more or less am looking at it as an upgrade to the kayak. Hoping that the motor will give me more time fishing and less time paddling.

Surf launches can be a little rough in my area so I already know I’ll be picking my days, and with the colder water temps a wetsuit definitely extends my season. Similarly to my kayak I know I’ll get wet in the surf. Most of the time it will likely we use on lakes, rivers and bays when the ocean doesn’t want to lay down for me.

I’ll go ahead and order my plans this week, and don’t worry I think the floatation foam is a must. Hopefully I can post my build on the forum too.