CT22 - Center console Cat 22 - Question

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: CT22 - Center console Cat 22 - Question

Post by fallguy1000 »

BarraMan wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:52 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:03 am Well, there is an upside that is will do well in the rough stuff vs the PH22, but there are tradeoffs. For most of the US builders running in lakes, the rough water aspect is not a concern. So, I'm only pointing out the reason I think it has not drawn a lot of love here.
”Honestly, with no disrespect to JM, I find the hull centerline beam to be far too narrow. He's trying to keep it on a trailer, but the hulls need to be further apart.”

You also appear to suggest that there is a flaw in the design! :doh:
Well, it could be bigger. No? This would 'help' the design compete with say the PH22 a bit better.

Every single boat design has flaws because all boats have compromises.

If a designer is offended by critique; he would not understand this critical element of design.

OP wondered why not many or any have been built that we are aware of and I offered possible insight.

In order for me to be interested in the CT22, it would need to be larger to offset the internal volume losses for bdeck. Even then, I may prefer the PH22 to displacement or draft over rough water capability.

A larger CT22 may be a more attractive all around boat because, for example, it would likely do better on fuel than the PH22.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:03 am Well, there is an upside that is will do well in the rough stuff vs the PH22, but there are tradeoffs. For most of the US builders running in lakes, the rough water aspect is not a concern. So, I'm only pointing out the reason I think it has not drawn a lot of love here.
Fallguy, you should look up Oneida Lake, NY. I'm halfway between Oneida Lake and Lake Ontario (20 minutes either way). While I currently boat exclusively on Oneida Lake at the moment. I'd would be nice to consider Ontario on occasion. Oneida Lake is large enough that the wave patterns on the west end can be much different than the east end. Been a few times I've launched at the west end, we did a few laps of the lake, drifted a bit on the east end, and then had to deal quite heavy chop on way back a few hours later when we left calm waters. My wife hates those rides, and avoiding any type of chop really limits an already limited season.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

CNYBoater wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:12 am
Fallguy, you should look up Oneida Lake, NY. I'm halfway between Oneida Lake and Lake Ontario (20 minutes either way). While I currently boat exclusively on Oneida Lake at the moment. I'd would be nice to consider Ontario on occasion. Oneida Lake is large enough that the wave patterns on the west end can be much different than the east end. Been a few times I've launched at the west end, we did a few laps of the lake, drifted a bit on the east end, and then had to deal quite heavy chop on way back a few hours later when we left calm waters. My wife hates those rides, and avoiding any type of chop really limits an already limited season.
Ride quality would certainly improve in the cat versus the PH22. The trick is always to find the sweet spot. Many planing hulls have to stay below the hump for comfort. The Bertrams which guzzle fuel do not. They can get up on plane and disregard the worst chop. Abaco 23 here can also handle some chop; despite how light she is..

I am only attempting to answer your question as to plan popularity.

I was on the shore of Lake Superior one day talking to a shore fisherman about boating on the lake. I told him I was going to buy a 24' boat so I could go out in rougher weather. He wisely told me, 16' or 24' boats face the same weather and the 24' would still come in for 4' waves just as the 16. Fishing in 4' seas on most monohulls is out, unless just swells.

If ride quality is your primary desire; ask the designer which boat rides the best between say the ct22 and the abaco23 or others; you may be surprised. Then if you intend to fish; other things happen. Beam seas for drifting, in some boats is no fun, for example.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

Been busy reading the forums and will get back to my post soon. There is A LOT here to read before getting into this further.

That Jazz30 design creation thread was huge, especially with all the secondary links.

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

Read quite a few build threads, general topics, etc. Quite the wealth of information here, and plan on reading more.

To reply to a comment Pee Wee made, after reading the forums and re-reading my thread... I think there was confusion on my end when you mentioned "wrap it". Around here, a boat wrap is Vinyl Graphics, which does not last long and is generally unappealing to me. I think you may have been referring to building the CT22 as designed and applying the planking after the fact as a type of skin. I've not seen that done on some decks and cockpits as legitimate build or even spec'd to plans. Very good idea, and one that'd I'd probably roll with. The link you gave of the other planked boat on a S&G frame would be perfect I think.

After reading the forums, I think adding graphite to the order would be worth while. Another thing that I've seen referenced quite a bit is outboard or offshore brackets for hanging the outboards. I'm curious if this is an option for the CT22, after weight distribution changes, that would give even greater opportunity in the already big cockpit. I can picture aft facing (at anchor only) seating where the current splash wells are and a platform with step between the two brackets. I've seen threads where the stringers were extended through the transom to carry the bracket load forward. I've seen mention in threads where hulls have been offered in both transom mount and bracketed CNC kits. Be interesting to see if this would be a design option in the future.

I've never owned or ridden in a center console. I've always enjoyed dual consoles. While the plans say it is not currently spec'd for a DC cockpit, I'm wondering if going a DC route over a CC cockpit would be structure to the hull/build, or just a matter of "respect the frames, do what you want with the cockpit"... I've also found some CC designs that I like, but the forward beam of the CT22 makes it hard for me to picture.

I will open this post on my phone and add a few pictures I've found while browsing features and designs I liked in similar sized multihulls.
Attachments
4668C422-68AA-40C6-B1D3-6A68EC718C34.jpeg
60D6C7E7-ECF4-45C4-9646-763175C46AE4.jpeg
52ED56E6-FAB9-4BB3-9EBE-82C971E52FB1.jpeg

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

Purchased plans for the FS14 as my practice build. Will start a thread when I start the build.