CT22 - Center console Cat 22 - Question

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: CT22 - Center console Cat 22 - Question

Post by pee wee »

According to this: http://boatplans-online.com/plans/BPO_flyer.pdf the overall length is 15'-2".
Hank

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

Thanks for the image and link pee wee. I can see the appeal.

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

I'm wondering if the deck should be stripped in a herringbone pattern with a centerline stem at 45degrees. This would increase beam to beam strength I would think. At least more so that running the hole thing lengthwise. Similar to this image.

Deck Pattern Sample

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You can basically do any pattern you want, as you will be laying it over the 1/2" deck or what ever is required by the plans. Do one you find that you like or design your own so it is unique to you. Which ever we will be waiting for lots of picture of your build and the s[ash.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

The deck of a planing hull boat is one of the least structural elements.

Aside from the problem of a cedar hull/deck interface; I see little reason the deck could not be built in cedar; except for the edges..

The bottom side of the deck will require lamination and that can be more than the top. The top can be made with a couple layers of woven.

The edges or hull/deck interface must be made with something strong enough for impact. Typically, all glass, but that is a major pain. I would think an available hardwood that can be laminated would be ideal. You'd cut it to same thickness and wide enough to be sure to be on top of hull sides. It would not match, color-wise. The way we have dealt with that is black paint.

Of course, the deck would be on crossbeams. Those as well could be as specified plywood, etc.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy if you do not use a deck from the plans this is the type of structure you need for a lap deck to support it. This is a picture of a Riva boat. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/1055599 ... /?mt=login This site has a lot of lapped decks, some pretty far out there.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The deck of the cat22 is not going to be much different in ply or s&g because as drawn; largely all hatches which need structural support..

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon.

I put together a complete list of materials, rigging, etc. from trusted sources I've used before. It's looking like around $50k +/- 10%, which is only a fraction of a similar type production boat. The Glacier Bay 22 CC for instance.

However, in New York I apparently can't get a HIN until its inspected by the State, and while it does not need the power plants ($20k of that number), it needs to be mostly complete. Based on my research at least, I can be missing something here. Anyways... Funding on a loan lacking a HIN or other in service type collateral is proving to be difficult. Mostly because I'm not willing to discuss a HELOC. While my current boat is paid for, its not worth nearly enough to use as collateral for the Boat Builder Central supplies to get it to HIN ready status. While I'm not destitute, my Salary does not support my desire to build this craft as I see fit.

My apologies for wasting everyone's time.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Tis okay. I think the number you cited of $50k is pretty close. Time and material $$ budgets must not be overlooked.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

No problem we all have to dream. We all have budgets that must be met and maybe down the road you will be able to build your dream boat, all things change.

Tom