CT22 - Center console Cat 22 - Question

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: CT22 - Center console Cat 22 - Question

Post by fallguy1000 »

CNYBoater wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:05 pm I have no clue what that first bit meant about leg circulation.

Advice is always helpful.
Ergonomically speaking, arguments for a lean back bench are right, let's say 10 degrees. But ergonomically speaking, the body is most comfortable at 90 degree which means the front of the legs up 10 degrees is good.

This means the feet must be resting on the ground with the rest of the body in that position.

My helm bench got raised up, but the footrest did not, so we have to add a footrest now..

See photo, got the lean right, leg lift right, missed on the feet as I raised the station to slide..
495BE7C4-3C68-4E68-9474-9913CCE92B97.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

It appears the general consensus on other forums would be to not build the CT22 in strip plank composite.
Cross method building from S&G to SP not as feasible as I would like it to be. Just the nature of the beast. Lovely design though.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

CNYBoater wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:04 pm It appears the general consensus on other forums would be to not build the CT22 in strip plank composite.
Cross method building from S&G to SP not as feasible as I would like it to be. Just the nature of the beast. Lovely design though.
I don't have time to go through all 50 pages of this thread to find the exact posts, but I think what you may be looking for is in it. viewtopic.php?t=40346 He did a hybrid strip system. I'm not sure if the pictures are still attached. It may be the look you want.

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

Quite a bit there, I’ll have to read that lengthy thread tomorrow.

If you look at the CT study plans to the CGI artist representation…. Picture the black graphic hull sides, topside and cockpit in cedar strip planks. Everything else in white paint as pictured.

General consensus is it’d rip apart in sudden storms or emergency turning because the strips don’t have the bidirectional stability that the plywood has for that much height. Even using biaxial cloth at 45 degree orientation, opposing on each side of the plank. Hull reinforcing, bulkheads, framing, etc for S&G is not enough to support strip plank. Or so I gather, have now been led to believe.

Only thought for this is to use S&G, with lighter/thinner panels to shave weight where the planking is intended, overlay the planking and use 9oz biaxial cloth both sides. That will throw weights of the design way off.

Conversely, I could try the figure out the cross sections every 12 inches or so, build a form on a strong back and use steam bent 1”x for framing, use copper fasteners to the framing, glass it all in, etc. Again, weights would be way off as designed. Due to the size and height of the hulls, I still don’t know it it would be strong enough.

Both make it even more costly to build compared to as designed.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Any boat specified in plywood can be specified in strip.

Weight difference to okume, yes. To meranti, probably pretty close.

Why do you want strip? Just for the looks?

If you rip a 3/4" board in half, that is too thin. A one inch deck board still only 7/16". You'd need to rip 2x material in half and get 11/16" thick hull. Turn glass 45/45, 0/90, but cedar strip is totally doable. Some weight punishment, but not great.

You don't use cedar on the bottom or for crossmembers, so all the load path is on the bottom. The transom cannot be build in cedar unless very thick and well laminated, so not gonna see it. You could do ply/ply strip face back there like you mentioned, but not practical for entire boat.

Ask on boatdesign.net and see if anyone will help spec it. Or maybe JM will. The trick is getting the G forces coming off a wave correct. I can see if Gerr's book would do it. The wave impact is the scary bit. The hull to deck interface might also not be cedar. The deck edge could crush on hard downforces.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

You could wrap it with the strip look . . . :?:
Hank

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

Pee wee - I’m a woodworking hobbyist, so I’d like the real deal.

My boss’ son restores classic wooden boats. I have an experienced fiberglasser willing to help at that stage.

Still thinking this through.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

This is a question that Jauques the designer needs to answer and should have been started up in the Questions before Purchasing The Plans section. The pressures on the hull at planning speeds are extreme. How about just strip lapping the decks that has been done and gives a beautiful boat. I do know that strilp lapping is weaker than using solid ply so you would need to use heaver lap than the 1/4 ply which would make doing the bends more difficult.

Jeff could you let Jauques know of this discussion, since he has not responded yet.

I have never seen a strip lapped hull on a planning hull, even from the Italians who strip lap a lot of there decks.

But do not do anything untill you get a response from Jacques. It would be a beautiful hull if you can do it. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

There's a build being featured here that is by a different designer, not stitch and glue, but maybe there's some inspiration for you.

viewtopic.php?p=383640#p383640

The hull bottom and sides are plywood:

The deck surfaces are strip:

Nobody is going to ask why the hull isn't strip built!
Hank

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Beautiful boat peewee. Any idea of its length? Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978