CT22 - Center console Cat 22 - Question

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: CT22 - Center console Cat 22 - Question

Post by CNYBoater »

Thanks for that. Someday...

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It's good to look at the numbers before you leap, but do remember that you wouldn't need to make all the purchases at once, and a build like this would likely take a few years.
Hank

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

I should give you folks my list. You could tell me what I’m forgetting and when I’d need what. Lol I always end up making multiple trips to store on projects. Nothing is ever as planned.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You kow peeewee is not far off, there have been a lot of of boats that have taken 6-8 years to build on here for various reasons. Break it down into cash flow. Save to buy the CNC package first and put it together with plastic ties and hold the transom in place with a some screws threw the sides, you will need a small amount of epoxy an 6" biax tape, just get the minimal as you will be joining the panels with them another $300, so figure, $9200 to complete the wooden hull, then cover it with a tarp tilll you are ready to move on to the fiberglassing. You don't need the fiberglass/epoxy kit until you can afford it. Your biggest cost is going to be the motors at 12-15K each, I think, I have not priced them lately, but the dealers usely have payment plans like buying a new car. :lol: :(

Well good luck to you when ever you start this build, remeber I turn 70 this year and would like to see this built in my lifetime. :lol: It is a beautiful boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Has anyone built this boat? Really appealing design.

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

PapaDave, I haven't been able to find any documentation on an actual build. It's a shame since there are a few boating forums where the design is mentioned.

I wonder how successful a GoFundMe would be? "Please help me build this boat, it deserves to be built!" ROFL

Tom, I found similar ranges on the 90s I looked at, but decided that new old stock was significantly cheaper since most of those manufacturers had warranties based on purchased date over manufacturer date. A set of 2 year old engines sitting at a dealer had some price advantages.

I think the fiberglass and epoxy would go quickly because I could hire out the process to the experienced epoxy guys that I work with. The other benefit to working at my employer is that we regularly buy the shop supplies and I could get them at cost vs retail. Meaning all the brushes, rollers, mixing materials, etc. The equipment for that is also available for use from my employer, if asked. I doubt our epoxy suppliers could match to what is needed for the project. I've sent them epoxy specs previously for what I use in my woodturning and other hobby projects, and its to niche/specialty for them to supply.

The project can definitely be broken down to phased funding.

I've broken materials estimates down to:
Hull to paint ready at $16,750
Surface Finishing (paint, varnish, bottom paint) at $1,600
Mechanical Systems at $7,300
Electronics & Controls at $5,400
Propulsion at $21,000

Still cheaper than a 20 year old production catamaran

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

As a catbuilder, I have looked at this plan. I see limited advantage over PH22. Displacement is less, draft is more. Sure the CT22 can brave bigger waves, but who wants to..

Build time is surely longer. Risk of the build is higher because it is a prototype. So is mine. Chance for error in the build also present because those two hulls on a planing cat need to be perfectly aligned.

And, in the bow section, some interior space is lost in the ct22 to bdeck and bdeck clearances.

Honestly, with no disrespect to JM, I find the hull centerline beam to be far too narrow. He's trying to keep it on a trailer, but the hulls need to be further apart.

My opinion is that the ct22 needed to be a 24' boat and a 10' beam in order to offset bdeck volume losses and that I'd personally prefer the ph22.

I have been reluctant to share my view because I hate to kill anyone's joy.

I believe the reason we have not seen it built is most builders choosing plans come to the same conclusion.

I own the LB26 plans and decided to build the Skoota instead, but I still love the LB26 plan. It just didn't check as many boxes, but would have been like 100 times easier to build.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:35 am As a catbuilder, I have looked at this plan. I see limited advantage over PH22. Displacement is less, draft is more. Sure the CT22 can brave bigger waves, but who wants to..
Build time is surely longer. Risk of the build is higher because it is a prototype. So is mine. Chance for error in the build also present because those two hulls on a planing cat need to be perfectly aligned.
And, in the bow section, some interior space is lost in the ct22 to bdeck and bdeck clearances.
Honestly, with no disrespect to JM, I find the hull centerline beam to be far too narrow. He's trying to keep it on a trailer, but the hulls need to be further apart.
My opinion is that the ct22 needed to be a 24' boat and a 10' beam in order to offset bdeck volume losses and that I'd personally prefer the ph22.
I have been reluctant to share my view because I hate to kill anyone's joy.
I believe the reason we have not seen it built is most builders choosing plans come to the same conclusion.
I own the LB26 plans and decided to build the Skoota instead, but I still love the LB26 plan. It just didn't check as many boxes, but would have been like 100 times easier to build.
I read this and thought to myself that a lot of Sharkcat/Noosacat/Kevlacat owners here in Australia would disagree! 8O They are a very popular design among pro and recreational offshore fishos - in identical dimensions to the CT22 and trailerable at 2.5M beam.

Then I looked up the CT22 plans on here and found this:

"The hull is the well proven Australian model. This type of cat has been in production under the name Shark Cat and more recently as the NoosaCat. (Let's be clear, this boat does not use the lines of the ones listed above, it is the same type of hull). It is a planing cat of moderate displacement, moderately wide hulls, conventional hull shape."

I am not a cat person, either on a trailer or four legs :lol: but if I was I would not be put off the more complex build. There is a reason that this style of boat is favoured by pro fishos/rescue services/water police/fishery patrols etc!

Looks like a pretty kool build to me! 8)

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Well, there is an upside that is will do well in the rough stuff vs the PH22, but there are tradeoffs. For most of the US builders running in lakes, the rough water aspect is not a concern. So, I'm only pointing out the reason I think it has not drawn a lot of love here.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:03 am Well, there is an upside that is will do well in the rough stuff vs the PH22, but there are tradeoffs. For most of the US builders running in lakes, the rough water aspect is not a concern. So, I'm only pointing out the reason I think it has not drawn a lot of love here.
”Honestly, with no disrespect to JM, I find the hull centerline beam to be far too narrow. He's trying to keep it on a trailer, but the hulls need to be further apart.”

You also appear to suggest that there is a flaw in the design! :doh: