NC SK14

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Three Degrees
New Poster
New Poster

Re: NC SK14

Post by Three Degrees »

Well, life got in the way a bit and I had not had a chance to work on the boat for a bit. Finally got back at it yesterday. I thought things were going well and I have hit a snag. I wanted to make sure everything fit nicely before I started spot welding, and everything did not fit nicely. There is a lot of space between Panel A and the hull...
Panel A Issue.jpg
Here is a couple of closeups of the stringer with Panel A removed. There is a good 2 to 3 inch gap between the stringer and the hull near the bow...
Stringer Detail 1.jpg
Stringer Detail 2.jpg
Looking from the stern forward, there seems to be a lot of space between the hull and Panel B and Panel C, too...
Panels B & C Issue.jpg
I am hoping this is a common problem with a relatively easy fix. Any suggestions? I loosened and tightened things over and over and could not get that gap between the stringers and the hull near the bow closed. Thanks!

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Those cords across the top side panels constrict things. I'd take 'em off and start fooling with it. The side and bottom panels need to be able to float and find a fair curve. Panel A and maybe the port stringer look shifted to port, not centered. Start with removing the cords and see what happens. Post pics again after that. Other folks will chime in too, it just takes a bit to get things to fit right.

Dougster

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Check your overall length, too. Some of these designs need the bow pulled back to get the sides to flare properly.
Hank

Three Degrees
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Three Degrees »

Well...removed the cords and spent several hours tightening and loosening zip ties and it is a little better, but I am still having a few issues. Had to stop because I was getting frustrated. The stern is fine...nice and level, the bow on the other hand....
June 24 Update Not Level.jpg
Panel A is still not fitting right...I have a lot of space between it and the sides and bottom and the center of Panel A is to the port. I can make it fit better by physically lifting the bow, but then the sides flare out too far. I am already concerned that the starboard side is flared out much further than the port...
June 24 Update Flared Side.jpg
I am sure this is related to the unlevel bow, but I have no idea how to fix it. The stringers are also still not meeting the bottom...
June 24 Update Stringer Issue.jpg
I really thought I'd be a lot further along by now, but I don't want to start epoxying everything together only to find things don't fit right. I think if I can fix the bow everything else will fall into place. I checked the table, it is level. I have to think there is some torque being applied somewhere that is slightly twisting the bow, just don't know where or what to do next.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Run a string from the center of the transom to the bow and make sure it is square to the transom. And to all of the center of the frames/panels. I am a little surprised you are having the trouble you are and wish the other builders of the SK14 builders would step in and help you. The hull looks good and fair, so not sure if that is your problem.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Your not frustrated, you're just resting the plywood! I rested mine several times too 8) I do remember one day having a bit of breakthru when I pressed the bottom down hard against the table. First do Tom's suggestion though.Pulling the nose down while holding the bottom flat may pull things in too. Keep fooling with it, no epoxy yet. As you said this latest effort looks considerably better so your getting there. Perfect is not important and I always call 3/8" home free.

Dougster

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

If you can ignore the hull panels for a bit, and focus on squaring up the frames and stringers, you will minimize the number of factors to deal with. In the picture from the bow on Friday, the frames look twisted. If you can sight down a string on the centerline, and align tops of all the frames with the level at the transom, at least the structure will be right.

Building right side up seems to add a challenge by not providing a means to align the frame, and then hold it there while the hull panes relax.

Don’t loose patience! The whole is assembly is finicky, and only right in one spot. You’ll get it. Save the epoxy for the day after you think you’ve got it right.

Good luck!

Three Degrees
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Three Degrees »

Thanks Dan, Doug, and Tom. I needed a little encouragement and some advice. Checked the alignment between the bow and transom, and it was definitely off. When I unscrewed the port side, this is how it lined up:
July 4 Update Transom Detail.jpg
Got that fixed and just kept fiddling with things. Wedged the whole thing up so it had a little more room to flex, put some pressure on it while tightening the zip ties and ended up in a good place, I think.
July 4 Update Front View.jpg
July 4 Update Rear View.jpg
I played around with putting weight on the bow, and the gaps on the sides pretty much disappear. Any advice before I move to the next phase? Thanks again!

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Keep sweet talking her into place.

Is that the deck on the right? If so, it could pay off to temporarily zip tie it to the sides. It could provide some lift to the sides as well as forming the shape at the rub rail.