Which west products

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Which west products

Post by fireturk41 »

I have the OD18 plan and want to use west systems because it’s what’s available locally. To coat the wood should I use 105 with a slow cure since it’s hot and then use gflex to do any of the adhesive work?
Thanks!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Which west products

Post by fallguy1000 »

105 can do it all

You don't need gflex, just use fumed silica and epoxy and mix it about 2.1 to 1 by volume give or take with the slow.

Avoid letting sun hit your work in hot places. It'll kick ripping fast.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Agree 105 is the mainstay and to that you add a hardener dependening on your working temp. For you if you start this summer in Raleigh slow at the least and maybe even Tropical. I know how hot it can get there compared to my mountains over here in Bryson City. I have an OD18 if you want to take a look at one, give me a call 828 488 6840.

You might want to contact Jeff to compare what he can do for you to get the West products through the Store here plus shipping to you. Normally to NC it is two day shipping. Then just pick up little things locally. No guarantee he can match your local price but it is worth it and when we buy from the store it helps support the forum and other things they are involved in that helps us.

They are also cheapest for plywood and fiberglass.

Well good luck on your build.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:03 am Agree 105 is the mainstay and to that you add a hardener dependening on your working temp. For you if you start this summer in Raleigh slow at the least and maybe even Tropical. I know how hot it can get there compared to my mountains over here in Bryson City. I have an OD18 if you want to take a look at one, give me a call 828 488 6840.

You might want to contact Jeff to compare what he can do for you to get the West products through the Store here plus shipping to you. Normally to NC it is two day shipping. Then just pick up little things locally. No guarantee he can match your local price but it is worth it and when we buy from the store it helps support the forum and other things they are involved in that helps us.

They are also cheapest for plywood and fiberglass.

Well good luck on your build.

Tom
I will second Tom's response about checking with Jeff on pricing. I have shopped around and BBC is always the cheapest for me unless I 'need' a quart of epoxy right NOW. Their shipping is also fast, I put in an order on Wednesday morning about 9am and had my epoxy yesterday at like 2pm and I didn't even choose one day so it's fast.

For the hardener, I only use slow hardener (with Marinepoxy) and I'm in North Florida. I can't mix large amounts if I'm not going to use it fast but I rarely mix large batches anyway. I also do most of my work in the evening when it's cooler but you will learn how long you have working life as you do it. The biggest thing is when you're laying the large cloth over the bottom, that takes a LOT of epoxy :)
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)