LM18 - 10% Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
gmarc418
New Poster
New Poster

LM18 - 10% Build

Post by gmarc418 »

Has anyone built or thought about building the LM18 as a 16 footer more along the line of a South Dade Skiff? I have searched the forum and couldn't find anything, but I might have missed a thread somewhere. I'd plan to build it super simple (no hatches, open underneath) without the tunnel.

This is my first solo build, I helped my dad many years ago build a sunfish, and I am pretty good with following directions and have done many wood working projects. I want a poling skiff and a boat very different from the one I currently fish out of, an 18' Shallow Sport Sport, and the LM18 fits the bill. I'd just like it a little more compact.

I have been super impressed with the comments provided on this forum. There seems to be a great community out there!

Marc

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: LM18 - 10% Build

Post by TomW1 »

I do not recall of any one down sizing the LM18. It is actually a widened FS18. There are several people that have built it without the tunnel, so that is not a problem. To shorten it by 10% is not a problem. The designer has no problem with builders doing this. The but is that he prefers you reduces all measurements by 10% to keep the boat scantlings and floating on her lines. Many people have upsized and dowsized the plans here. It is highly recommend that you buy the metric plans as it is easier to change the measurements in metric than US.

I am sure others will chime in.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

gmarc418
New Poster
New Poster

Post by gmarc418 »

So are you saying a 10% reduction in all measurements including sheer, width, etc.?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yes take the plans and multiply every measurement by .9. The sides are optional but draw them out to see how they affect the look of the boat. Here read this from the designer: https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... -plans.pdf It should help you.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978