OD16 Keel side

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Briank2
New Poster
New Poster

OD16 Keel side

Post by Briank2 »

Hi all, I've bought the plans for the OD16 and just trying to get my head wrapped around it all before I start. I've built a ply-on-frame Dory 16 from Spira and a stitch and glue Sassafras 12 from CLC.

I've got things figured out but a bit unclear on how the keel side is attached. In the instructions and some pics, there's a keel step, but in the drawings, there is no step, it's all flush. If I leave it flush I assume I stitch and fiberglass the bottom of the keel side to the bottom panel and the same with the top but I feel like there should be some fiberglass on the inside to keep it from being pushed in, or does the biaxial tape etc on the outside all hold that in place well enough? On Youtube I saw an OD18 being built where the sole is added much later in the process and the keel side and lower panel are stitched and taped together inside and out.

For the transversal braces, how do i determine the angle of the ends that join with the keel side?

The keel side itself, in the instructions it says to trace it out from the assembled bottom and sole, but on page 5 of the plans, at the bottom of the page it looks like the panel and its offsets are there but its not labeled as anything, let alone as the keel side. Is it the keel side?

Lastly it is recommended it be built on a jig but doesn't say which type. Any recommendations?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OD16 Keel side

Post by Fuzz »

I do not know about the OD16 but my OD18 was built right side up. After the hull bottom with stringers was glassed and the sides installed the hull was flipped to do the outside work. I did not use a jig and do not think one is needed for the OD boats but I would call the folks at BBC and let them give you the answer.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Disregard the step at the chine. I first designed this boat with a step but later changed the design to a slanted chine. I don't know how that picture found it's way back in the notes, I will check it and correct the notes but there is no step at the chine.

You can build the boat as in the "12 step" notes but most builders, I include, prefer to build her upside down, on molds.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Briank2
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Briank2 »

Thank you. The photos I saw weren't in the plans, just with the group of photos of the boat. There is reference to the step in the instructions. Can you confirm if that last offset drawing is for the keel side?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I don't have the plans with me but there are two offsets for very large parts. The smallest one is the keel (bottom panel).
There is another way to check which part is which: the width of the transom, along the bottom edge, must match the keel width at the transom.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com