Youngsville NC supersized OD18 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Youngsville NC supersized OD18 build

Post by cape man »

Cool. You should be able to loft the pieces as planned with the 10% scale up.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Wow, fireturk to have a place that close is a dream. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

fireturk41 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:47 pm It marine grade okoume, there’s a lumberyard about 100 miles from me that has pretty much anything you can thing of for good prices
Sounds good to me! Do you mind sharing their name?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fireturk41 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:35 pm I’m getting to a stall point (material wise) I’m going to cut molds tomorrow and the transom. For the transom where the motor hangs, although I’m scaling by 10% I leave that dene soon the same height, correct? Also I was reading other builds and saw where others transoms were about an inch short. Should I raise it an extra inch?
If it's not too late, I would measure your motor before cutting the transom. The Honda's, as an example, tend to be more like 22.5 inches, not 20", which can cause some consternation.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:43 am
fireturk41 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:35 pm I’m getting to a stall point (material wise) I’m going to cut molds tomorrow and the transom. For the transom where the motor hangs, although I’m scaling by 10% I leave that dene soon the same height, correct? Also I was reading other builds and saw where others transoms were about an inch short. Should I raise it an extra inch?
If it's not too late, I would measure your motor before cutting the transom. The Honda's, as an example, tend to be more like 22.5 inches, not 20", which can cause some consternation.
Jeff that may be true of their smaller motors, but they must meet SAE standards for motors 40HP and higher. I just checked the 75 and 90's are 20" shafts or for 90 25". Other manufacturers also do the same thing for their smaller motors, though more and more are sticking to the 20 and 25" standard.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:10 pm
fireturk41 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:47 pm It marine grade okoume, there’s a lumberyard about 100 miles from me that has pretty much anything you can thing of for good prices
Sounds good to me! Do you mind sharing their name?
Atlantic Veneer or Impact trading company in Newport NC.

Sorry for the long break! I had a sick family member and work that delayed my progress. However I will post pics in a moment! I’m one or two sheets of 1/2” short for the forms due to robbing pieces to use on my other boat but it’s moving along

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

My pest control guy decided to watch me cut out the transom. His big brother didn’t come out today though Image
Got molds B and C up
Transom and one of the clamping boards is cut