Youngsville NC supersized OD18 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Youngsville NC supersized OD18 build

Post by Fuzz »

About the stringers I am pretty sure every one fillets and tapes in their stringers. For me I would not dream of not having them glassed in. I do more than just tab them, I wrap the glass all around them. Uses a little more material but the stringers are a boats backbone so them and the transom are two places that always get the overkill treatment.

cape man

Post by cape man »

The plans call for just glue on the stringers. Mine are fileted and taped in with a single piece of 12 oz biax tape on both sides. Be aware that a thing that seems small will add significantly to the overall materials needed to make 4 long filets and wet in 4 long pieces of 12 oz tape. I ended up using over 20 gallons of epoxy and had to order more tape to finish my OD18 . No regrets, but the BOM was blown early with things like taping the stringers and adding cloth to the sides.
The one regret I do have is keeping the height of the stringers to plan. With anything over 50 lbs in the boat it stops self bailing with the scupper plugs out. Now is the time to make that decision. I wish I had raised the sole 1.5 inches. You can accomplish this by making the stringers (and bulkheads) higher or setting slotted cleats of dimensional lumber on top.

Will be watching this build with interest. Love my dory and its very roomy for its size, but it's tight quarters with more than 3 people.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

At the expense of sounding dumb, what is the circled thing supposed to be

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

fireturk41 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:06 pm At the expense of sounding dumb, what is the circled thing supposed to be
Also might sound dumb but how far does this 2” wide piece jut out into the next plywood piece 9515

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I believe the first picture is showing how to get a bow or small curve in the piece. Put a small nail in the spot marked outside of the straight line and bend a batten around it to get the curve.
About tabbing the stringers or not. I agree that glue alone will hold most likely. However I worked on a set of seats today that I built for a buddy last year. I glued a piece of 1/4 plywood onto the bottom of the seats to help stiffen them up a little. He brought them back to me because the stiffeners had broken lose. My first thought was dang the glue did not hold. But what I learned was the face ply of the plywood had pealed off, glue held just fine. If I had used a piece of glass to spread the force over a larger area I do not think this would have happened. For me I would have the same thoughts when driving hard through heavy seas. Having the stringers come lose would not make for a happy day :help:

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

I realized what the second picture is while I was cutting lol. That’s my thoughts too, spread the load. Also since this is my first boat I want it to last until I’m 70 and when it m 70 I don’t want to replace stringers lmao. Todays progress

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:37 pm About the stringers I am pretty sure every one fillets and tapes in their stringers. For me I would not dream of not having them glassed in. I do more than just tab them, I wrap the glass all around them. Uses a little more material but the stringers are a boats backbone so them and the transom are two places that always get the overkill treatment.
Agreed with that as far as my own boat is concerned. I've got two layers of glass on my stringers as per plans, then a third layer in most places cut from cloth just over the curve itself and over some places I wasn't happy with the work. It's mostly about glue area I think, and transitions to avoid hardspots. 12mm ply has to be less of a concern with hardspots than 6mm in my C17, and a 2 by 6 has a lot of gluing area. I can't imagine the forces required to break it, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to rip a sole out to rebuild stringers either. Ever. I'd glass them in if it were my boat. Hell if my sole wasn't on I'd put another layer on mine just because.

But it also depends where the boat is being used. If it was on a river or lake I might just leave it at glue.

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

I’ll have some more pictures in the morning, I cut the stringers today, epoxying them to the plywood was a nightmare! I need to take a drive next week and get some more wood. (There’s a lumber yard about 100 miles from me that sells marine grade ply 80 bucks a sheet less than the local guys) I got the stringers epoxied to the ply, even though it’s ugly it’s solids I’m going to add some fillets tomorrow and start making the butt blocks for the ply and start working on the forms. I realized today I’m a little slow and added 10% everywhere except for length, so I made a panel B and a half lmao.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fireturk41 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:56 pm I’ll have some more pictures in the morning, I cut the stringers today, epoxying them to the plywood was a nightmare! I need to take a drive next week and get some more wood. (There’s a lumber yard about 100 miles from me that sells marine grade ply 80 bucks a sheet less than the local guys) I got the stringers epoxied to the ply, even though it’s ugly it’s solids I’m going to add some fillets tomorrow and start making the butt blocks for the ply and start working on the forms. I realized today I’m a little slow and added 10% everywhere except for length, so I made a panel B and a half lmao.
Did you put a layer of 12oz biax on the plywood before glueing the stringers down. You should have. You need a layer of biax on the inside and outside of the hull. The Study Plans call for 85 sa. ft. but that is not enough for your stretched OD18. As far as tieing the stringer the answer is yes you need to use tie them to the bottom, this is a planning boat. Your plans fiberglassing lamininating page should tell you what to use it is page B212_6. Since your a tirst time builder I think, you need to slow down and re-read the plans again, so that you do not make any critical mistakes. We are glad to help you and willig to do so. :D Please keep asking the questions I want to see how this big boy compares to my little OD18. :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »