Youngsville NC supersized OD18 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Youngsville NC supersized OD18 build

Post by fireturk41 »

Running a little behind on the project so I plan to cut the frames and transom today. For the transom is it cutting the transom and then clamping boards for a total of 3 layers of 3/4” ply? If so for the clamping boards what size do I cut them? It’s supposed to be super hot this week so it looks like I’ll be driving to get more wood instead of trying to work On glass

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The transom and clamping board size are in the plans probably D212-4or5. Just multply by 1.1. If not make the bottom of the clamping board 14" below the the top of the motor cut out. The lower bolt of motors is 10" below the top one. But please look in the plans first.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I'd be surprised if the total thickness of the transom plus clamping board was over 1.5". By the time you add glass in and out, tape it to the sides, and the frames and then tape in the motorwell frame it will be very strong and stiff, regardless of whether it's 1.5" or 2.25".

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:03 pm The transom and clamping board size are in the plans probably D212-4or5. Just multply by 1.1. If not make the bottom of the clamping board 14" below the the top of the motor cut out. The lower bolt of motors is 10" below the top one. But please look in the plans first.
Looking at the plans the molds and transom are on the same page, is it a possibility that mold E turns into the clamping board since if I’m interpreting correctly it’s the only one of the molds cut out of 3/4 ply

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

A lot of guys have made the transom out of 2-3 layers of plywood to get to 1.5 inch thick on the whole thing. But 3/4 ply with a clamping board would be strong enough and be lighter and cheaper. Like OWT said by the time you glass every thing in things are strong.

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

I talked to the guys at BBC today. Over the next week I’m going to cut out 3 transoms, laminate them together and then use a router to throw 2 layers as a clamping board, I fell a little behind this week because of work and the heat. Unfortunately 2 days next week it’s supposed to rain so hopefully I’ll have the transom done. I got 6 5x10 1/4” sheets yesterday for the sides and to cut the rubrail I also got a piece of Doug fir to cut a skeg out of.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

fireturk41 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:09 pm . . I’m going to cut out 3 transoms, laminate them together and then use a router to throw 2 layers as a clamping board . .
I don't understand what you intend to do. I'd either leave the transom fully three layers thick, or glue up your clamping board first and add that after trimming to size.
Hank

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

That’s precisely what I’ll be doing, just gotta trim the bottom of 2 of the 3 layers

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Hey, where did you find the 5x10 1/4" Is it marine plywood or something different?

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

It marine grade okoume, there’s a lumberyard about 100 miles from me that has pretty much anything you can thing of for good prices