Youngsville NC supersized OD18 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Youngsville NC supersized OD18 build

Post by fireturk41 »

Beginning my build of my outboard dory 18, just 10% larger. My dumb butt got the plans in standard but I converted it to metric and added 10%. I was going to trace and cut today but I think I’ll wait until my metric tape measure arrives for the most precise measurements (and I suck with fractions) I’d show y’all pictures but have no clue how 😂

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Youngsville NC supersized OD18 build

Post by Fuzz »

viewtopic.php?t=8718
Give this a try and see if it helps. If not PM Jaysen and ask you to walk you through the process. The kid is pretty darn handy for some things :wink:
Pictures make a good thread and we all love a good boat build thread.

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

Let’s give this a shot. Attached are my plans being converted to metric, my initial batch of wood (I was able to find 4x10x1/2” sheets of marine ply and 16’ Douglas fir for stringers) and an 06 evinrude 60 with 121 hours I picked up cheap for the boat. 9506 9507 9508

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

viewtopic.php?t=649
Here is Jaysen's tutorial on how to post pictures but it seems you have a way worked out.
As you build ask questions and post lots of pictures. The guys here are friendly and try to help if they can. Posting pictures helps folks see what you are speaking about and also many times someone will spot a problem and that will save you a lot of work.
And if it has not already been said welcome to the fun :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Good deal fireturk41 keep the pictures coming as you build this boat. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

Will do! It’s supposed to rain today so I’ll be cutting Sunday and gluing sometime this week. Does anyone here fillet and tab in their stringers?

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

When I bought the downloadable sets of plans they had the plans in both imperial and metric. Did you get the hardcopy or the downloadable one?
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fireturk41 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:53 am Does anyone here fillet and tab in their stringers?
Only after layig down the interior fiberglass layer, but double check your plans instructions, I have been known to be wrong before. :)

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

There’s been some discussion about OD18 stringers on the forums. Some people have used plywood for stringers, two layers of 9mm ply offset seams and laminated. In this case you definitely need to fillet and tab. Two layers of double bias if my HM18 plans are any guide. The HM19 doesn’t have an interior glass layer. Something to do with the 18mm bottom. Since you have scaled up it wouldn’t hurt to add extra glass here between the stringers.
You would also need cleats on top under the sole.

If you use dimensional lumber as per plans then glue is sufficient. An option if you can find it would be LVL or versalam. Plywood with all the layers in one direction. If you can find this untreated it would be stronger than plywood or regular timber.

This is all from my memory of what’s been said in the forums. A search for CrackerLarry will bring up his build and also CapeMan is still active on the forums. If you click on JaccquesMmn and search his post history you can find the designers input as well.

fireturk41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fireturk41 »

Will do! It’s supposed to rain today so I’ll be cutting Sunday and gluing sometime this week. Does anyone here fillet and tab in their stringers?

I’m using dimensional lumber but I think I will to be on the overbuilt side.

Tomw that makes sense I’m hoping to cut some tomorrow and glue the bottom later this week. I’ll see how far I get during my work week after Wednesday