Cable steer new motor?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Cable steer new motor?

Post by jbo_c »

Are any of the newer smaller horse(15 and less hp) easily configurable to cable steer?

Jbo

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cable steer new motor?

Post by cape man »

Most can be converted...how easily depends on the make and model. Do you have an engine already? Buying new or used?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The Yamah 15 and smaller is listed as tiller only, you will have to check the dealer if it can be converted. Suzuki has a 9.9 remote but the 15 is listed as tiller only, so I wonder if they have a kit for the 15. For Mercury the 15 and 9.9HP motors both have remote steering. All these motors have remote electric start.

Well there you have it jbo,

You have any pictures of the shanty lately? Would like to see how she is coming along. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Thanks for the info Tom.

No progress on the shanty yet since fall. My daughters’ family moved back to town and bought a fixer-upper house. Spent all my nights and weekends there since early spring.

I’m itching to get back to it. Should be done with the house next weekend and get to work on the shanty some more. Thanks for asking.

Jbo

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

My brand new Suzuki 9.9 remote came with just about everything in the box. Shifter, wire harness, nuts, bolts, prop, arm for steering. Did not include control cables because that is boat dependent. I'm not sure about the 15 not being available as a remote. I know the 20 can come that way.

The 9.9 can be upped to 20HP fairly easily by swapping the computer and removing an intake restriction. The cost to do this is about the same as ordering a 20 to begin with. There are certain advantages to having a motor with 9.9 on it and a 9.9 serial number.

For converting a tiller to remote, it gets complicated. Like all winter to collect all the little parts needed complicated. Usually, you have to know the engine and the parts catalog in detail to know what parts to order.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I have a 2011 9.9 Suzuki tiller. I looked into swapping it to remote but the cost to do so was not worth it. I seem to remember it was over $1000. I ended up finding a Yamaha 8hp set up as a remote for not much more so now have a kicker for two boats. :D

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:07 pm I have a 2011 9.9 Suzuki tiller. I looked into swapping it to remote but the cost to do so was not worth it. I seem to remember it was over $1000. I ended up finding a Yamaha 8hp set up as a remote for not much more so now have a kicker for two boats. :D
Agreed. I considered converting my Honda 20 tiller to remote but there was no clear path. It was going to cost a fair bit, take a long time, and I was afraid that in the end I'd have something I was less than 100% confident in, so I ended up ordering a brand new, remote-controls motor. Also moved from a 20 to a 30. New motor got to the marina last week, will be a few more weeks before I get it installed.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie