Block and Tackle

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Block and Tackle

Post by fallguy1000 »

The Skoota would be hard to retrieve anyone.

I want to add a 5:1 block and tackle.

This one is too $$$ for my blood.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/schaefer ... -1--101659

Any ideas?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Block and Tackle

Post by PapaDave »

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

You will need some kind of crane/boom to attach all that to and it is not a one person operation. Trailer winch and a stainless steel pulley would work well and can be operated by one person.

We bought a cheap one for our canoe trailer and replaced the strap that was on it with 50' of high strength rope (2000LB that is for ATV winches) and can pull our canoe up steep banks.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

PapaDave wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:21 am https://sterlingrope.com/store/work/kit ... ket-hauler

Check out Sterling rope.
I really like this one. They offer a product that is all aluminum and delrin for $520 that has an anchor point and has rope brakes all setup. Much better than a piece of hardware for $450.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:15 am You will need some kind of crane/boom to attach all that to and it is not a one person operation. Trailer winch and a stainless steel pulley would work well and can be operated by one person.

We bought a cheap one for our canoe trailer and replaced the strap that was on it with 50' of high strength rope (2000LB that is for ATV winches) and can pull our canoe up steep banks.
The advantage is 5:1 on the ones I need. So, a 250# rescue is a 50 pound lift with a 250# load. The lift point is about 11' off the water. The lift point is the right side of the hardtop tower..

as long as a person can hold onto the rope; their own weight can do the lift, the sterling item even has brakes!
E71C72D8-B75C-48F9-BD25-6E5F997EE668.jpeg

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

The first boat I owned was a NACRA 5.2 catamaran. It was well set up for racing but it lacked a down haul to warp the mast. I just had to have a 6 to 1 down haul like the big boys. I could have bought one specifically made for the boat but it was something like $400 in 1992. I thought, that because I was pretty handy, I could make my own. I headed off to West Marine, walked out with a bag of parts about the size of a brown lunch bag and $200 lighter in the pocket. I got baptized in boat parts prices. That down haul was sweet and I saved a couple hundred $$$.

The price you showed doesn't look that bad. If you are on fresh water, you could probably get away with parts from Harbor Freight or somewhere like that for $20-30.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

bklake wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:33 am The first boat I owned was a NACRA 5.2 catamaran. It was well set up for racing but it lacked a down haul to warp the mast. I just had to have a 6 to 1 down haul like the big boys. I could have bought one specifically made for the boat but it was something like $400 in 1992. I thought, that because I was pretty handy, I could make my own. I headed off to West Marine, walked out with a bag of parts about the size of a brown lunch bag and $200 lighter in the pocket. I got baptized in boat parts prices. That down haul was sweet and I saved a couple hundred $$$.

The price you showed doesn't look that bad. If you are on fresh water, you could probably get away with parts from Harbor Freight or somewhere like that for $20-30.
Headed to saltwater in a year or two..