Xf22 flats build

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here

Xf22 flats build

Post by Guest »

Hey guys I’m about to start an xf22 build, I have build boats using this method in the past an beefed up the transom an stringers to mount a higher hp motor.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience or input with this hull/build in regards to what would be needed to mount up a 300hpdi Yamaha

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Xf22 flats build

Post by TomW1 »

Boats are built for a range of motors and the designer(Jacques) designates this, I will try to explain why your 300HP willl not work. The recommended HP for the XF22 is 115HP for top speed. The top speed with this HP will put you in the mid-30's depending on load. The Yamaha 300HP weighs 200lbs more than the 115HP. Adding this much HP and weight will require a complete redisgn of the XF22. Not only the stringer and the bottom, but the amount of fiberglass, the thickness ot the frames and stringers and transom. And then the spacing of the frames and stringers.

I am doing a calculation for you here: The COG is calculated frome about 6" behind the helm at the waterline. So on this boat it looks to be 8'. To compare the 115HP to the 300HP we use 200lbs x 8ft or 1600lbs. That is the amount of lbs that need to be moved forward of the COG if you go with the 300HP motor. Just another example of things that you would need to be taken into account of if you go with a 300HP motor.

I just ran my calculator with the Yamaha 150 and top speed was 44mph. The 115HP top speed was 38mph. I do not know about you I don't want to drive a flat bottom at speeds above those speeds. I have an OD18 which is flat bottomed and I keep it in the high 20's though it will hit the mid-30's. Oh, I forgot to mention the 300 would reach a top speed in the low 60's, it would tear the boat apart as designed now.

I would suggest sticking with a 115 or a 150 with an extra layer of 12 or 17oz biax on the bottom.

Well good luck to you. Please creaate an account so you will get the best advice available.

Jeff could you refer this to Jacques. Want to be sure.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I wrote a long reply but it got lost in the cloud :doh:
Does not really matter as Tom has covered 90% of what I wrote.
If you do build this boat we would still enjoy seeing a build thread :D

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Building beyond the designer's specs requires special mods by the designer.

XF22 is a nice looking boat, but not gonna do well with 300hp, probably end up killing the helmsman.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:47 pm Building beyond the designer's specs requires special mods by the designer.

but not gonna do well with 300hp, probably end up killing the helmsman.
Did not want to say that fallguy, but with most of the weight aft hitting a wave wrong could easily cause it to flip. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:32 pm Hey guys I’m about to start an xf22 build, I have build boats using this method in the past an beefed up the transom an stringers to mount a higher hp motor.
Was wondering if anyone has any experience or input with this hull/build in regards to what would be needed to mount up a 300hpdi Yamaha
Cast iron testicles ? 8O :help:

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

BarraMan wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:19 am
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:32 pm Hey guys I’m about to start an xf22 build, I have build boats using this method in the past an beefed up the transom an stringers to mount a higher hp motor.
Cast iron testicles ? 8O :help:
That's part of what it would take to drive this thing but like Tom said, you hit a wave wrong and it doesn't matter what they're made of. I've had a boat go sideways on me at 50 mph and it's only by God's grace me and my kids weren't hurt. A 150hp on the XF22 would be the most you'd want on this thing and that's still a lot. Still curious what Jacques would say though...
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

150 horsepower is excessive. The boat is going to run out and handle great with a 90-125 hp motor. Make sure you put some strakes on the hull bottom which will enhance maneuverability big time. The more power you add, the worse this boat will turn.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Put the recommended engine on the boat. Buy some 300hp stickers from your engine manufacturer and put them on the cowl. Brag to admirers on the ramp that Yamaha built you a special turbo supercharged 300hp and you are testing it for them. This boat will go as fast with 115hp as any production boat with 300hp. The money saved will buy your gas for the life of the motor.