XF 20 Rigging

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

XF 20 Rigging

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

Looking for some common sense advise on parts to complete rigging. Sorry if too lengthy but it really gets complicated to me. I am using a new Yamaha F70 with a Bob’s 6”jack plate
1.Gauges. Digital or analog and what gauges do I must have
2. Steering. Most seem to be for up to 300 hp. Evidently Sea Star must be the number one brand. What else to consider.
3.Trim tabs. Do I need and if so what brand and size. I was told that tabs could help with turning
4. Hatches. Would like waterproof but not sure I’m willing to pay that price.
5.Batteries for 24volt trolling motor and cranking. Would like to use Lithium but not sure of pros and cons

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: XF 20 Rigging

Post by fallguy1000 »

I can try to answer later. You need to look at the Yamaha rigging guide. I know it back and forth for my vmax sho 90s
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Guages: Yamaha has execellent guages. I would look into their Multi-function fuel, tach and speed guages and add there Pro hour guage. Otherwise they have regular guages that will do the same thing.

Steering: Personally I feel hydaullic is not needed ou a 70HP motor, I don't have it on my OD18. A Baystar system will cost you up to $900 https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seastar- ... %20Systems Some places will sell it cheaper you will just have to look.

Trim tabs: These do not help in steering, but are great in keeping the boat in trim. What does help it steering is the skeg.

Hatches: Waterproof hatches are great, but you do not need to make all of them waterproof. You can make your own,, some of the guys here have doe so. All of my purchased hatches have failed and they were not cheap. So you take your chances which ever way you go.

Batteries: Lithium, 2-3x the price, requires special charger,, can't charge directly from outboard, lifespan not proven, may last no longer than AMG, lighter. AMG,, proven, life span of at least 6 years if taken care of, charges from ouboard or relatively cheap purchased charger when at home to keep a trickle charge on them. I am not sold on LI on a boat just yet but do your research.

Others will kick in and also answer as we all have our opinions. Very good question.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Yesyoucan4 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:18 pm Looking for some common sense advise on parts to complete rigging. Sorry if too lengthy but it really gets complicated to me. I am using a new Yamaha F70 with a Bob’s 6”jack plate
2. Steering. Most seem to be for up to 300 hp. Evidently Sea Star must be the number one brand. What else to consider.
3.Trim tabs. Do I need and if so what brand and size. I was told that tabs could help with turning
5.Batteries for 24volt trolling motor and cranking. Would like to use Lithium but not sure of pros and cons
Budget drives it all.

Gauges-went all nema2000 on my boat, but the Yamaha network to get to nema2000 is like $400 for the converter alone. It sucks cuz it is just a passive device sitting under the console noone sees. nema2000 or n2k allows al digital displays and gauges can be output on a mfd (multifunction display)..

Steering...Seastar technical support is the best in the nation. Can't be it. Seriously worth using any of their product for diy help. I genuinely have their number on my contact list and they helped me more than I deserve.

Trim tabs. Add em later if the hole shot/trim bothers you.

Hatches-avoid gutter hatches like the plague. This means side hatches or shoebox lids. I have them all. Ask and I'll offer what I can. If you can buy a gutter hatch, worth about 3-400 worth of work. Buy extra 20# core if you order yet. A sheet of coosa 20# is like gold for gutters and lids, or aquaplas..

I avoided lithium. Why? Well, I was nervous I'd do something wrong and blow a grand. And I did something wrong and it cost me about $250 and the merchant defected one battery. I consider lithium to be an upgrade sorta thing, good agm gel batteries are still spendy.. i spent $1000 on 4 batteries...need two more, but the banks will be uneven so on the fence about it now..

I can offer opinion on rigging, but need to talk across the rigging options in the yammie link I showed you..

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Looking for some common sense advise on parts to complete rigging. Sorry if too lengthy but it really gets complicated to me. I am using a new Yamaha F70 with a Bob’s 6”jack plate

I have a Yamaha 6YC digital multifunction gauge - does everything I need.
I have Sea Star on my 250 - luv it. I would have hydraulic on my Yamaha 40 if the boat had a helm (Is a tiller!). I think once you have had hydraulic steering it would be hard to be without!
Trim tabs are good for ..................well, trim. I have Bennett hydraulic sport tabs. They make no difference to steering on my boat.
I made my own - they are not waterproof. Those sold here look good to me.
I run 6 x batteries - 1 x lead acid crank battery and 5 x AGM. I would luv lithiums, at least on my 36V Minn Kota trolling motor, for the weight saving but they are very expensive here and the fire hasard still makes me nervous. Maybe one day!

cape man

Post by cape man »

I have the same motor on my Dory and use a Teleflex NFB steering system. I get the hydraulics upgrade, but have no issues with helm or steering with the 70. If $ is an issue it will save hundreds.
Richard put hydraulic on his XF20 and it does make the rigging neater at the transom...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman