Do the digital plans included files for CNC machines, or can some of the pages be easily converted to a CNC format?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Do the digital plans included files for CNC machines, or can some of the pages be easily converted to a CNC format?

Post by Dougster »

I've done 4 builds, the biggest being the LB22. I had no carpentry experience and was quite the novice and assure you cutting out the panels is no big deal. Get a nice little circular saw (cuts mild curves better than jig saw) and cut a bit proud of the line, then plane it down to the line. There are good tutorials on laying out the lines and it's a fun task. Honestly, unless you're in some great big hurry to finish, I don't see the need for the CNC kit, but that's me. If you're real worried build the cheap canoe. That'll ease your mind and give you a fun little canoe to play with.

Dougster

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Do the digital plans included files for CNC machines, or can some of the pages be easily converted to a CNC format?

Post by BarraMan »

Dougster wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:28 am I've done 4 builds, the biggest being the LB22. I had no carpentry experience and was quite the novice and assure you cutting out the panels is no big deal. Get a nice little circular saw (cuts mild curves better than jig saw) and cut a bit proud of the line, then plane it down to the line. There are good tutorials on laying out the lines and it's a fun task. Honestly, unless you're in some great big hurry to finish, I don't see the need for the CNC kit, but that's me. If you're real worried build the cheap canoe. That'll ease your mind and give you a fun little canoe to play with.
Dougster
What he said! :D I cut out my 22 footer with a little Makita saw - easy.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

From what you said I agree with Dougster. First step would be build your molds out of cheap plywood, that will take you a while for the TW28. Then buy the bottom peices or what you can of it and cut and glue and get started on the bottom. As I said above I still don't understand the logic of not saving the 6 months for the 17K for the kit instead of doing it peice meal and pearhaps making mistakes in cutting and alignment. Neither Dougster or Barraman bought there panels peice meal. At the minimun get the whole bottom hull as you need to align all the panels to each other and transom. Then do the sides next as they need to be to aligned to the bottom and transom. You can't do part of one or the other. But follow the plans.

The TW28 will cost you a lot to build the hull is just the beginning of it.

Well good luck to you.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:58 pm As I said above I still don't understand the logic of not saving the 6 months for the 17K for the kit instead of doing it peice meal and pearhaps making mistakes in cutting and alignment.
Because it's one of the more rewarding jobs in building the entire boat.

Did you cut your own or buy CNC?

cape man

Post by cape man »

Can't wait to see the answer to that question... 8)

Cutting the pieces with a skill saw is easier than you think. My biggest challenge was in making sure where to measure from (some dimensions are from the edge of the wood, others from the edge of the piece) and finding the right piece of long wood to use as a batten to mark the curves. Learning how to do a plunge cut is also a skill I learned, followed by a jig saw for the corners of the hatch opening and lids.

The stitch and glue method is quite forgiving as well, allowing you to leave gaps that don't have to be precise, which allows you to adjust the pieces before the epoxy goes down.

If money is a factor just buy the wood and cut it yourself. The CNC kits are a luxury for many of us. The boat is the cheap part. Power, trailer, electronics, hardware, etc. is where you will spend the most.

Pull the trigger and go! Welcome to the boat builders' virus!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

You guys are convincing me of the errors in my thinking. I think I will still spread the wood purchase over a few months, but I will try cutting and fitting them by hand. I was originally thinking that the cuts had to be precise and accurate, but the more i read about the glue and stitch approach the more I see that accuracy is less important.
Check out my Trawler 28 build viewtopic.php?t=66261.

cape man

Post by cape man »

You guys are convincing me of the errors in my thinking.
There are no errors in thinking, and no such thing as a stupid question here. You might get an occassional stupid answer, but others will almost always chime in to get you back on track. :lol:

Watching a TW28 build in Miami will be awesome, and there have been several built (especially in Europe) so you can learn from previous builds. It is a very neat boat for sure, and if I was looking for a cruiser/sleep aboard it would be top of my list. The numbers for power and fuel consumption are impressive for anything that big.

Buying the wood a bit at a time is actually not a bad idea if you don't have a great place to store it. As said earlier, it would be good to get enough wood, epoxy, and glass for the sides, bottom, transom, stringers, and bulkheads as those all are needed early on to make the basic hull. By then hopefully you have another round of cash to get the wood for decks, cabin (assuming you will build one), gunwales, etc.

BBC is only 2.5 hours north of you so you can probably save some bucks by going there to pick up the wood and supplies. Plus you will get to meet two of the greatest guys I know if both Reid and Jeff are there.

By the way...Jeff and Reid...sorry to have apparently help talk him out of a CNC kit. :roll:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

cape man wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:42 am
You guys are convincing me of the errors in my thinking.
There are no errors in thinking, and no such thing as a stupid question here. You might get an occassional stupid answer, but others will almost always chime in to get you back on track. :lol:

Watching a TW28 build in Miami will be awesome, and there have been several built (especially in Europe) so you can learn from previous builds. It is a very neat boat for sure, and if I was looking for a cruiser/sleep aboard it would be top of my list. The numbers for power and fuel consumption are impressive for anything that big.

Buying the wood a bit at a time is actually not a bad idea if you don't have a great place to store it. As said earlier, it would be good to get enough wood, epoxy, and glass for the sides, bottom, transom, stringers, and bulkheads as those all are needed early on to make the basic hull. By then hopefully you have another round of cash to get the wood for decks, cabin (assuming you will build one), gunwales, etc.

BBC is only 2.5 hours north of you so you can probably save some bucks by going there to pick up the wood and supplies. Plus you will get to meet two of the greatest guys I know if both Reid and Jeff are there.

By the way...Jeff and Reid...sorry to have apparently help talk him out of a CNC kit. :roll:
lol, don't worry the CNC kit was never really an option for me unless they had some law away plan I didn't know about lol.
thanks

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

I think it's worth your while to price out the entire build before you start. I'm usually time-limited on projects, but with a TW28 you're looking at a hefty total rigged out and finished. Would hate to have that much effort and not be able to finish it due to budget restrictions. It will at least be time-phased.

Just the Ancor connectors are a big chunk of $$!

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

Matt Gent wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:09 pm I think it's worth your while to price out the entire build before you start. I'm usually time-limited on projects, but with a TW28 you're looking at a hefty total rigged out and finished. Would hate to have that much effort and not be able to finish it due to budget restrictions. It will at least be time-phased.

Just the Ancor connectors are a big chunk of $$!
thanks. I am working on that right now. researching all the materials and even pricing out the engine, tanks, gelly, head, etc. Just to kind of get a ballpark figure.