Do the digital plans included files for CNC machines, or can some of the pages be easily converted to a CNC format?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Do the digital plans included files for CNC machines, or can some of the pages be easily converted to a CNC format?

Post by MageDK »

I am looking to get the plans for the 28' trawler (TW28). I was wondering if the digital plans contained the cutouts for each sheet of plywood in a format that would be easy to export to a format that can be used by a large CNC machine? I'm no computer expert, but I was wondering how difficult it would be to convert those pages on the plans for a CNC shop. Or hopefully, maybe the digital version of the plans includes that already.

Ideally, I would spread out the cost of the plywood sheets over a 5-6 months, send them to a local cnc shop to get cut and start assembling without having to get all the wood at once.

Let me know. thanks!
Check out my Trawler 28 build viewtopic.php?t=66261.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do the digital plans included files for CNC machines, or can some of the pages be easily converted to a CNC format?

Post by Jeff »

Our designers do not sell their CNC Cut files. They can be translated to meet your needs!! No patterns, just easy to read and follow engineering documents. Jeff

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Do the digital plans included files for CNC machines, or can some of the pages be easily converted to a CNC format?

Post by MageDK »

ok, thanks.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

MageDK wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:10 am I am looking to get the plans for the 28' trawler (TW28). I was wondering if the digital plans contained the cutouts for each sheet of plywood in a format that would be easy to export to a format that can be used by a large CNC machine? I'm no computer expert, but I was wondering how difficult it would be to convert those pages on the plans for a CNC shop. Or hopefully, maybe the digital version of the plans includes that already.

Ideally, I would spread out the cost of the plywood sheets over a 5-6 months, send them to a local cnc shop to get cut and start assembling without having to get all the wood at once.

Let me know. thanks!
The greatest cost with the least return os freight. Freight has gotten to be ridiculous.

Unless you can buy marine plywood close to home; you'll want to buy it all to avoid freight.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

Thanks for the tip. I live in Miami, Fl so I can get marine grade plywood near me. I'm just trying to come up with a timeframe of spacing the wood purchases out as much as possible without impeeding the build too much.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

MageDK may I make a suggestion. The nesting on the plans may not allow you or save you any time by doing a piece meal puchase of plywood and having the plans converted to CNC and cut, you may be waitig till you get all the plywood untill you can start assembly. Instead why not save your money over the 5-6 months and buy the CNC Kit. This way you will get the designers CNC cut and extras not in the plans plus the throw away molds. Also before you buy check your local prices against the prices here.

Ft. Pierce is just 2-21/2Hrs north of Miami so a rentall of Uhal or a friends pickup could pick it up the kit if you don't have one.

Well my thoughts worth 2 cents today a penny tomorrow,

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Getting a local shop to translate and CNC cut the plans will not be easier or cheaper than getting it all done at once by guys that do it every day. Less chance of screwups as well.

Or just buy the wood you need for the hull panels and some frames/molds and cut by hand. I spaced out my purchases that way. It ended up costing me a lot of money as ply prices increased markedly. Cutting by hand isn't that hard, just takes a few days.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

You could check on how much $ you'd save buying ply and cutting the panels and fames yourself. It's not hard and is a pleasant part of the build in my experience.

Dougster

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

I also support buying from BBC, I regularly do.

Have you priced out the entire bill of materials? I have not for a tw28, but I would guess that the plywood is still a small fraction of the total.

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

I have started to price out all the materials for the build. I'm doing some research on the hull and interior components as well. I would love to get the CNC kit for the boat, but it's listed on the site for 17K. I just don't have that money available to spend all at once. I know buying the wood piecemeal will probably cost more, but if I can spread out that cost over a longer period (6mos-1year) then it's affordable.

I may just buy the wood and make the cuts myself. According to the study plans the cuts don't have to be 100% accurate since the TW28 uses the stitch and glue method.