OB17 Trailer

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
rcamaine
New Poster
New Poster

OB17 Trailer

Post by rcamaine »

Ready to move by OB17 build onto a trailer. Looking at some of the Loadrite's as there is a dealer right in town. The smaller ones, up to 1500 lbs, are only 62" between the fenders, which seems to be too small.

The next size up to 2200 lbs, has between fender measurement of 72".

From looking the plans, station D is right around 66" at the chine. Am I thinking right here? The model I am looking at is 17220090VT. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OB17 Trailer

Post by cape man »

I would go up to the larger size. Unless you put the bunks above the fenders you risk hitting them while loading and unloading, and raising them means you will have to get the trailer deeper to launch and load.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

+1
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

If you go for the larger size consider removing one of the leafs from the springs. Boat trailers are often oversprung for ply cored boats.

My trailer has central rollers with side bunks. The rollers sit under the keel which has been built to take the full load of the boat. The side bunks have plastic tops and support less of the weight, primarily stabilizing the boat. I can keep the hubs above water and push the boat in easy. Currently the trailer is under a donor glass boat, but I'm building the C17 the same way.