CK17 Rubrail dimensions

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

CK17 Rubrail dimensions

Post by string1824 »

I am getting ready to start building a CK17 on my next break from work. Have had the plans for quite some time. After reading and rereading the plans I cannot find what the rubrail dimensions are supposed to be. The plans just say to laminate 1/4" material, but it does not specify how many layers to make the rubrail or how tall the rubrail is supposed to be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CK17 Rubrail dimensions

Post by jacquesmm »

It must be somewhere on the plans but anyway, let's build at a minimum 0.75" wide and 1" high. For a very sturdy one, go to 1" thick by 1.5" high.
When sailing hard, you will grab that rail often and for that reason, I like the thick one.
Sorry if it is not clear on the plans.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

Thanks for the response.

Is the 1/4" stock for laminating made up of solid wood. or 1/4" marine plywood ripped into 1.5" strips?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

string1824 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:45 pm Thanks for the response.

Is the 1/4" stock for laminating made up of solid wood. or 1/4" marine plywood ripped into 1.5" strips?
You can make the rub rail from either, but most people use plywood. On most designs the strips will fit better if they're cut to match the curvature of the sheer, and this is most easily done after you cut the hull side panels and while they are lying flat. Trace that shape onto the plywood you want to use and make them the width you wish for.
Hank

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Not just for grabbing but a wide rub rail also serves as a spray rail. Wish I had made the ones on my dory at least an inch wide.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

A 1" by 1 1/2" works well and looks good also, I agree use plywood from your left-over scraps. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978