Question regarding how to properly finish a hull

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Question regarding how to properly finish a hull

Post by BarraMan »

I think my finishing protocol went something like:
Once finished glassing and fairing:
1) 4 x coats of epoxy sanded with 80 grit after the last coat
2) 2 coats of epoxy primer sanded with 120 grit after the 1st coat and 240 grit after the 2nd
3) 2 coats of 2 pack polyurethane undercoat sanded with 240 grit after the 1st coat and 400 grit after the 2nd
4) 2 coats of 2 pack polyurethane topcoat sanded with 600 grit between coats

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Seems I got a few comments on the porch paint. I'm using some on mine, but not for exterior surfaces. Inside of compartments and other places that should not get exposed to sun or much abrasion. Regardless of the paint I think it's a good idea to store a boat under cover and out of the sun.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OneWayTraffic there are various grades of porch paints. I spent over $15 a quart for one that had a high abrasive content and a high gloss. I would not be afraid of using the right porch paint in my lockers.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:13 am Seems I got a few comments on the porch paint. I'm using some on mine, but not for exterior surfaces. Inside of compartments and other places that should not get exposed to sun or much abrasion. Regardless of the paint I think it's a good idea to store a boat under cover and out of the sun.
So I take it this is not the best way to store a boat :lol:

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

BarraMan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:41 am I think my finishing protocol went something like:
Once finished glassing and fairing:
1) 4 x coats of epoxy sanded with 80 grit after the last coat
2) 2 coats of epoxy primer sanded with 120 grit after the 1st coat and 240 grit after the 2nd
3) 2 coats of 2 pack polyurethane undercoat sanded with 240 grit after the 1st coat and 400 grit after the 2nd
4) 2 coats of 2 pack polyurethane topcoat sanded with 600 grit between coats

WOW that finish looks amazing. So far this looks like the best way to go. I am going to be keeping it in the water most of the time and the Sun in South Florida is Brutal. I'm going to try and stick with good quality paint for the interior spaces as well. I don't think interior latex paint is going to cut it.
Check out my Trawler 28 build viewtopic.php?t=66261.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:21 pm
OneWayTraffic wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:13 am Seems I got a few comments on the porch paint. I'm using some on mine, but not for exterior surfaces. Inside of compartments and other places that should not get exposed to sun or much abrasion. Regardless of the paint I think it's a good idea to store a boat under cover and out of the sun.
So I take it this is not the best way to store a boat :lol:
Out of the sun, and under cover.

Looks good.

We're just off the shortest day here. I managed to get some glassing done outside. With slow hardener. 60F in the shade at the middle of the day. Nicer in the sun. Bit different to Alaska for sure.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Update to my update. I ended up stripping all the paint. It would seem that the areas I stripped first were over fairing compound. I didn't remember fairing anything so I assumed it was cloudy epoxy. Turns out the epoxy under the paint was a nice golden tan.

What did fail me was the Home Depot plywood. Just because the glue in it is waterproof doesn't mean the type of wood used is good for wet use. The wood swelled and contracted a lot causing the epoxy to crack and let water in. That is where the failure is. I posted about this console and wood about 10 years ago noting that it sucked up much more epoxy than any okoume I used before. I glassed the console this time using a bunch of scrap cut offs from other projects. The only reason I bothered to save it is because it fits well and it has all the holes cut for my stuff.

Just use okoume or meranti and good epoxy to save yourself a lot of grief in the future.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

bklake wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:11 pm Just use okoume or meranti and good epoxy to save yourself a lot of grief in the future.
This should be a sticky!! :D
Hank

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Agree. One post, one sentence, closed for comments. :lol: