HMD 18/19 power

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

HMD 18/19 power

Post by Doug N »

I had my boat out for the first time in about 2 years today. I thought I would comment on speed and horsepower. I have a yamaha 9.9 hi thrust outboard and an old beat-up honda 2hp as a kicker. I got up to a maximum of about 6 knots on the 9.9. I usually cruise around 4.5 to 5 knots as it is much quieter and I'm in no rush. The interesting part of this is that I got 4 knots out of the 2 hp kicker when I tried it out. First time I've used it on this boat. Really loud and vibrating a lot but it did the job in a test. I was quite surprised with this although I do remember doing a horsepower requirement calculation on a website I came across that said I only needed 3.5 hp for hull speed. I thought it wasn't realistic but perhaps it is. The displacement hull must be very efficient. Great to be back on the water with this boat.
Doug

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: HMD 18/19 power

Post by TomW1 »

Thanks for the report, Doug always good to know the performance on these builds.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by blueflood »

Hi Doug N

Yep, 3 hp will push this baby to her optimum hull speed. I have a Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker XL shaft fitted and will be more than enough.

My cruising area will be where the Ottawa River and St. Lawrence River converge around Ile Perrot (first island before Montreal) Very choppy with 2-3 foot swells / stiff winds but I'm sure the boat will be in her elements. Initially, I was a bit concerned about the low 9.9 HP but Evan and Chicagoross said "plenty of power".

Status, I just received the marine surveyor report and now looking for insurance. Launch is still on the books for early July but the dock is not installed yet.

Anyhow... Penny is 99.9% finished. Will post photos soon and obviously some during the launch !

Marc

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Tom W1

Nice to hear from you :D. Not sure what happened to your comment :doh:
It disapeared.

Anyhow, yes the Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker is a low speed high thrust fitted with a 4 blade 10" x 7" prop. I opted for Mercury mainly because this make is all see around these neck of the woods; boat dealers and marinas so I stayed with the most common.

Marc