Otter 16 or Swift Canoe 16????

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
gc9773
New Poster
New Poster

Otter 16 or Swift Canoe 16????

Post by gc9773 »

Apparently, I've been bitten by the bug and this is becoming somewhat of an obsession for me...

I'd like to participate in the Texas 200 next year, I've seen everything from kayaks to Montgomery 26's participate, so size is not necessarily a requirement. I'm looking at the Otter 16 and Swift Canoe 16. I've been planning this for a couple of years now, gave up last year, yet here I am...

My intent was to "beef up" the Otter 16 by adding an additional 5" of plywood to the hull in order to get more freeboard, build a small cuddy forward (similar to a rowcruiser), and install a leeboard vice a dagger or centerboard...

But the Swift Canoe seems like a sturdier boat, with generous freeboard, and I could certainly keel step a mast for a lug sail or similar in addition to provisioning for a rudder and small 2.5 hp outboard (I have a Suzuki DF2.5 long shaft with 31 hours on it).

I found mention from Jacques regarding the Swift Canoe being able to handle heavier weather in another thread, thus my question here.

For all intents and purposes, ordering the Swift Canoe plans would negate the necessity to add more freeboard and possibly compromise a design. And I have a brand new Trailex trailer I am ordering bunks and a roller for here shortly. I use it with an Old Town square stern canoe I have had for a couple of years which is now "oilcanning". I'll have a load capacity of 250 lbs. I suspect it might take a little more but I really do not want to push it.

I've identified a couple of nearby sources for Meranti/Okoume plywood, although a builder I conversed with in San Diego swore by ACX as being more than adequate. I fully expect the boat to get beat up on oyster beds and similar...

Your thoughts?

Garry

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Otter 16 or Swift Canoe 16????

Post by cape man »

The SC 16 is meant for an outboard. The Texas 200 is primarily a sailing event. Go with the otter. The SC16 will certainly sail down wind, but like all canoes will perform poorly otherwise compared to the Otter.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

gc9773
New Poster
New Poster

Post by gc9773 »

cape man wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:19 am The SC 16 is meant for an outboard. The Texas 200 is primarily a sailing event. Go with the otter. The SC16 will certainly sail down wind, but like all canoes will perform poorly otherwise compared to the Otter.
Thank you for the help. On another note, I picked up a 1/4" ACX plywood today to assess suitability for a boat hull. Consistent with what others here and in other forums have remarked, it was suspect for this purpose, guess things have changed over the years. Looks like I'll be ordering Meranti...

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Good move on the plywood. The little extra cost for good wood is well worth it.