SK14 Outboard For Back Country

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Morrisda
New Poster
New Poster

SK14 Outboard For Back Country

Post by Morrisda »

Hi All!
I’m starting a SK14 build. Got plans and most materials and will start this weekend. I’ll get a thread going for the build.
I’m looking for recommendations on an outboard that is light and quiet. Could be electric or gas.
The boat will almost be used exclusively for back country fishing in the Florida Keys.
I’m not concerned about top speed. I’m concerned about being able to stay quiet and skinny. Most of the area I’ll be fishing will be in just inches of water.
Just wondering if anyone had similar experience.
Thanks,
David

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SK14 Outboard For Back Country

Post by VT_Jeff »

Hit up Fuzzytrout directly if he doesn't chime in. He has fished the crap out of his SK14 and some of that was in the keys so he may well have some opinions on it.

Great luck with the build!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Love my 5 hp tohatsu propane outboard, but don't see it for super skinny water. Also love my minn kota spotlock troll motor which can run super skinny but only 2 to 3 mph. You can do either or or both.

Dougster

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

I saw this tank, on amazon. All composite should hold up to salt water.
https://www.amazon.com/17lb-Capacity-Li ... 691&sr=8-8
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Look up the Torqueedo electric motors, they cost a little more but use lithium batteries and have longer running times. The Travel 1103C at 3HP and the Cruise 3.0T at 6HP would be the ones I would look at. https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us The battery comes with the 1103C it should come with the Cruise but it doesn't say. Good luck on your decision. These are transom mounted motors not mounted on the bow like most trolling motors.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

9.9 tohatsu on mine works really good. I keep a 3 gal tank between the legs of the grab bar.

My main advice would be to trust the design. You don’t need to beef anything up or add extra foam etc. it’ll just add extra weight. Also I wouldn’t worry about light and quiet. You want to be able to go when you need to and cover ground. You can pole off a cooler set in the middle, or put a trolling motor on the front.

Morrisda
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Morrisda »

Thank you all for the input. I’ll start posting some updates in the build section soon.