HMD19 Aussie made

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
Aussiehmd19
New Poster
New Poster

HMD19 Aussie made

Post by Aussiehmd19 »

Aussie HMD19
I constructed my HMD19 in 2018 and 2019 and launched it in Jan 2020. The build was straight forward except my shed did not have enough height to get it out if I had the cabin built. So the cabin was left off until the boat was moved outside.
Features of my HMD19 are as follows:
1. Built as per plans with no variations. Licensed for 6 people and registered as basic floatation. This means it will float if swamped but not self righting. I was not going do the tests they wanted to prove otherwise. i.e. swamp the boat!
2. Yamaha 9.9hp 4 stroke outboard, extra long shaft, electric start and hydraulic lift with watersnake electric as backup (rarely attach it and never used it)
3. Hydrive hydraulic steering
4. 45litre fuel tank, 60litre water tank and 60litre waste tank all under the sole. Vents and bilge blowers in the 2 compartments with risers so water can’t get into the bilge. Three access hatches (water tight) to get at all tank connections and sea cocks.
5. Electric toilet under bunk in position of porta pottie.
6. Companion way cover with removable dowel to provide privacy in bunk/toilet and keep the mosquitoes out.
7. 120AH ships battery under step down to the toilet.
8. 35AH outboard battery in starboard aft locker.
9. Isolation switches for batteries and relay to charge from Solar panel on the roof and from the outboard. In built battery charger for shore power and trickle charge when boat not used for a while.
10. VHF radio, Lowerance GPS depth and speed. Sensor on transom.
11. Nav lights, interior lights and power charging outlets 5volt, 12volt and 240vac.
12. Electric fridge compressor under ice box on starboard side with top facing lid.
13. Sink with fresh water from tank on manual plunger pump. Sea water also at sink with foot pump. (so you don’t get confused)
14. Usual cheap gas stove with cartridges. (If it catches on fire you can throw it overboard.) Fire extinguisher in cabin.
15. CQR anchor stored in bow compartment but no hawser and anchor not mounted on bow. Only get it out when needed.
16. U shaped bench seat with hinged lifting tops AFT which is a bit of a problem if everyone sits there as the bow rises too much and the outboard goes very low in the water. I will install a bow tank with pumps to trim the boat when this happens. At the moment I despatch the son in law to lie on the bunk to play on his phone if I want the speed to increase.
17. Performance is good. 6.3knots full throttle, 3knots at idle and 5.8knots is the sweet spot.
18. Range is exceptional. I have travelled down the lake and back, over 5 days, and only used 20litres (5 gallons) of fuel. I have done this trip twice now in 2021 and 2022. It’s about 70km each way plus fishing trips and towing the grand kids on boards etc.
The HMD19 is perfect for the Lakes around here which are all salt and open to the sea. I can live on board for week without having to go for supplies. Fuel is no issue, the fridge is 60litres so big enough for cold food and beer etc. If I turn up the thermostat I can freeze as well but that uses more power. The 100w solar panel plus the outboard charging keeps the battery topped up no problems.
Handling of the boat is interesting and takes a bit of getting used to. Under power no problems at all but when in neutral and coming into a wharf don’t get too slow as the current and wind will take you in all directions. Best way is to come in with a small amount of power and then use reverse to stop alongside. I think the centre of pressures for wind and current are not in a stable relationship like in a yacht. I’m used to it now and always use idle power to manoeuvre. My HMD19 is also very light and draws almost nothing which is great in the shallow lakes here so I’m not about to load it up with a heavy keel or skegs to improve the tracking under no power. Once you are used to it, no problems.
I have construction pictures but I’ll only post ones that are a bit unique to my build. The plans are terrific and I was surprised over and over again after cutting out the plywood as per the plans to find they fitted perfectly. My sole was cut out as per the plans and when put in place there was a neat 1mm gap all around the hull! This was amazing.
Cheers and good Cruising
Graham Brown
Australia
20200218_162240.jpg

Aussiehmd19
New Poster
New Poster

Re: HMD19 Aussie made

Post by Aussiehmd19 »

Some more random pictures.
Along side in rain
Along side in rain
Along side in rain
Along side in rain
Usual over nigh mooring technique
Usual over nigh mooring technique
Living the dream
Living the dream
Yes its the party boat when it rains
Yes its the party boat when it rains
More pics on request
Cheers
Graham

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Awesome! Congrats on a fantastic build! Great post.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful build!!! Congrats!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That turned out nice! You should be proud of what you have made :D

Aussiehmd19
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Aussiehmd19 »

Thank you very much for the kind remarks on the Build. A great learning experience for me.
Now some of the unique things I did on this build that may be of interest.
The companion way cover is marine canvas hung over a removable dowel. It works a treat.
companion way.jpg
blue companion way cover.jpg
The 12volt electric inbuilt fridge was constructed from plywood, fibreglassed, covered with foam insulated and inserted into the starboard console. The compressor was installed underneath with the fan vent facing AFT. The evaporator plate is installed in box after painting it with pool 2 pack paint I had left over. The blue colour looks cool. The lid is also insulated with foam but only 1 inch.
fridge plywood box.jpg
fridge insulation.jpg
fridge compressor.jpg
The U shaped bench seat Aft with fold up seat both port and starboard works well except everyone wants to sit there which upsets the trim. I also decided to do this afert I cut the rear hatches which was not ideal as they stick up a bit above the seat. A slightly smaller hatch would have looked a bit better. Not worth fixing though.
bench seat detail.jpg
bench seat.jpg
I discovered there was enough room for a 12volt electric toilet under the bunk and after having one of these on my yacht they are a must have.
Holding tank went under the sole with the other tanks.
electric toilet.jpg
Hope photo inserting works a bit better this time.
Cheers
Graham

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

wow, great work, i have never seen someone build their own fridge. Enjoy it!
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Great Job!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Great job, love the innovations, beautiful boat. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

Beautiful boat. Really like your additions. Enjoy.
Doug